Quarq vs power2max

domc21
domc21 Posts: 86
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at getting either a Quarq Riken R or a power 2 max to go with my SRAM force groupset. Any opinions on either would be great.

Comments

• teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Both a good option, but I think the P2M is slightly cheaper.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Both quality products, I went for Quarq for service availability reasons. Other important factors may be accuracy, weight & cost.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • P2M type S spider fits directly to later sram force cranks, so you possibly only have to buy pm alone.

P2M for me - I have 3 classic versions, and not one has missed a beat. The most recent being bought over 18 months ago.

Never had to use their pm service facilities so can't comment - that says something in itself

Customer service is faultless though. once had a problem with a set of fsa gossamer cranks - sorted without any problems at all. All my dealings with them have been positive, and questions have always been answered promptly.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    spider fits directly to later sram force cranks, so you possibly only have to buy pm alone.

All my dealings with them have been positive, and questions have always been answered promptly.

I use Quarq, and find that the above comments are equally applicable .
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Another for P2M. Good price and turnaround.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I have been using Rotor cranks on Power2max for a few weeks now. Due to time constraints and weather, all my rides with it have been indoors on rollers.

I have been experiencing changes in wattage over the time of an indoor session. For example, a 2x20 session, the first interval will have a slightly lower wattage than the second interval even when using the auto-zero in the rest periods.

I contacted P2M and they stated in their reply that it was designed for OUTDOORS. I find this extremely annoying and disappointing. They don't mention this on their website.

Of course it's easier to spot differences indoors as it's repeatable in ways that aren't outdoors; wind speed for example. But in a garage setup, the room temperature will change and the temperature of the tyres and rollers but the readings seem a bit more random than this.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I contacted P2M and they stated in their reply that it was designed for OUTDOORS. I find this extremely annoying and disappointing. They don't mention this on their website.

I think they said this because the P2M auto zero's when you stop pedalling for 2 seconds. Which outside is something you would do frequently but inside on a turbo, not so much. Having said that the P2M should still be accurate, the early ones had some temp drift issues but that was back pre-2012, they nailed it since then.

I would let the device auto zero between intervals and see if that helps. But otherwise I would raise again with P2M.

EDITED
    And once I clicked post I read your post properly, sorry. I'd raise with P2M, that doesn't sound right.
  • devildawg
    devildawg Posts: 10
    Just a word of warning for anybody considering a purchase from P2M. My Rotor 3D+ based powermeter had a problem after less than 1 year of use (the spider came loose from the crank arm). P2M immediately decided, without any investigation, or examination of the item, that it must have been my fault, therefore they would not fix it under warranty. I will be sticking to brands I trust in future, and have just bough a Quarq Elsa, because SRAM understand Customer Service.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    devildawg wrote:
    Just a word of warning for anybody considering a purchase from P2M. My Rotor 3D+ based powermeter had a problem after less than 1 year of use (the spider came loose from the crank arm). P2M immediately decided, without any investigation, or examination of the item, that it must have been my fault, therefore they would not fix it under warranty. I will be sticking to brands I trust in future, and have just bough a Quarq Elsa, because SRAM understand Customer Service.

I'll do this on every thread you've tried to bad mouth P2M. You assembled the crankset with the P2M. You failed to secure it properly. That it came loose is nobody's fault but your's. Suck it up buttercup.

http://www.power2max.de/europe/wp-conte ... omente.pdf
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    power2max user for 2 years now. excellent product. if you can read instructions and fit it properly :)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    devildawg wrote:

I once blew up the engine of my car by shifting into second at 90mph and tried to blame it on BMW. That didn't work so well for me either.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I haven't used a P2M but I'm happy with the two Quarq PM's that I run.
  • thomasmorris
    thomasmorris Posts: 373
    devildawg wrote:

Maybe you should give more information about whether there was a defect that caused it to come loose (i.e. threads stripped, bolts snapped, spider cracked). Otherwise, if something just comes loose, and it was only you who was responsible to tightening it, then really I can see where P2M are coming from.

Surely if it just came loose, the only 'fixing' required is tightening it back up, as you would have done when installing it in the first place?

My P2M classic cracked at the battery pod. It then over the course of a month started getting wilder and wilder measurements, which I thought was a calibration issue. I sent it to P2M and they refused to warranty it, saying as the battery pod is not under working load, it must have been impacted in a fall. I hadn't fallen of my bike, however, I had flown it and shipped it, so I guess the damage could of occurred then.

As a gesture of goodwill P2M offered by the new version at half price. I thought that was very good customer service. I've had this new version 9 months without incident.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    A replacement at half price is P2M standard 'crash replacement' policy.
    More problems but still living....
  • thomasmorris
    thomasmorris Posts: 373
    amaferanga wrote:
    A replacement at half price is P2M standard 'crash replacement' policy.

Yes, it wasn't something I was aware of before I bought, and was nice to find out about when I sent my power meter in. The replacement was also a new version, rather than my old one, so an upgrade too.