stems: how tight should i go?

Rudd
Rudd Posts: 264
edited March 2016 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I need to pack my bike for a trip to the alps so need to remove and reassemble my stem. I have a torque wrench and note that my deda stem stipulates a max torque of 8.8nm. The trouble is when i'm tightening up 5nm feels plenty tight enough to me and I'm nervous about exceeding that. Irrational perhaps but if i didn't have a torque wrench and was just going by feel this is as much as i would go, so I was wondering if any ace mechanics out there would be able to comment on how tight they go? Presumably 8.8nm is the max but what drives the minimum? If it makes a difference i have a carbon steerer.

Any comments much appreciated.

David

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Its not going to go anywhere if you have tightened everything in the right order especially once the top cap is on. 5nm for me.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The minimum is where the stem no longer moves on the steerer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    before shipping...

once the stem is off, it's a good time to check steerer for any wear/damage

after shipping...

make sure the clamping area is clean/grease free - if the steerer slips down during transit it may pick up grease from the bearings

then as above, tighten bolts until the stem is secure - usually there are two bolts, don't just tighten one fully, do them 'together' in increments so that clamping force is evenly distributed as you go

fwiw mine is secure around 5Nm, but it'll vary with the stem etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Rudd
    thanks all - 5nm is what i'll go for. I've got some carbon gripper paste too which i guess is a little extra insurance.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    personally i never use carbon paste on a steerer clamp

a) never needed it

b) if the gritty bits get washed down into the headset bearings it won't be good
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    So 8 is the max. It doesn't mean to use 8 all of the time.

My car has a max speed of 120. I never go that high.

(no idea about the car just used that as an example)
  • Rudd
    Sorry, i should clarify. Its a deda stem and just says "8.8nm", not "Max 8.8nm". You could easily take this as a minimum.

I guess i could have read the manual too!

David
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,023
    Rudd wrote:

Good heavens man, don't resort to that!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    Rudd wrote:

Just what I thought - have some self respect....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've never had a torque wrench and been messing with bikes for 30 years. Probably won't get one either so I'll live in ignorant bliss.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    ^^ I bought a torque key after 3 years of having a carbon bike. I dont think I was a mile off when guessing before, possibly under tightening most of the time but I feel bloody lucky not to have cracked something!
  • Rudd
    ha - you also need to care of internet forums - this very one had a long discussion from members trying to work out how to get to 8nm without their titanium bolts failing.............careful twisting and good use of grease was the solution.

I know nothing, I admit to being a dreadful mechanic :oops:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Singleton wrote:
    Rudd wrote:

Just what I thought - have some self respect....

it's a slippery slope you'll be asking strangers for directions next
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.