BTWIN 560s

Freddiehutchinson
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

I've Road hardtail specialized frames since I started mtb, I've stuck to the brand over the last 5 years or so, I'm 18 and buzz off donwhil parks. I'm looking to buy my first full sus and have been searching for a good year. I am trying to stick to a tight budget. I aim to spend no more than £600 as I am only a student. This BTWIN 560s has come down in sale to just shy of £500. I work at decathlon as a bike mechanic and this is very attractive to me! My only hold back is the fact I can't find any real reviews or write ups. Please can you all reply with as much advice as possible, all good and bad! Really want worth while onions to help me out here.
Many thanks Freddie.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-5 ... 22588.html

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited March 2016
    The 560 is a good buy, excellent value and rides well, there is a bit of flex in the frame but it doesn't impact the performance it seems. Also not the lightest frame, but then you don't expect it at that price.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Can't comment on this particular bike but I've quire recently purchased a btwin xc ( http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rafal-740-mo ... 14897.html ) and I have to say I'm over the moon with it.

The frame is stunning. Components seem way above what I'd expect for the money, looks great, rides a dream... I know it's not the most fashionable of brands but speaking to my lbs & other riders it seems that decathlon / btwin are rapidly building a very good rep for some of their mtbs.

I know I'd have to spend a lot more money to get this type of bike made by one of the more accepted brands (granted its 26inch hence the price but 26 inch suits me just fine!).

One word of warning if you pull the trigger; Be aware of the assembly... My forks were on the wrong way around!
    Another slight negative, the paint on mine doesn't seem that durable; I've added lots of clear protective stickers but I'm a bit anal on looking after my bikes.

A big plus, lifetime guarentee on the frame.
  • marcg868
    marcg868 Posts: 116
    Looks a very good spec for the money. I have a 560 Hardtail as my winter bike (it's the missus bike in summer) and it's excellent forks very capable and the Deore/SLX is super slick.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a steal. Steve Worland had high praise for the Decathlon single pivot frames, likening them to Santa Cruz's offerings.
  • The Rookie
    Is that a good thing?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    Yes, he owned a Superlight. Granted the frame and shock of that was 5.5 lbs instead of 6.8lbs - but then the whole bike is half the price of the SC frame ;-)
  • The Rookie
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -07-19640/

Seems a bit Marmite, from the reviews I read when I was looking at getting one, people either complain a fair bit about pedal kick back or don't even mention it!

5.5 lb is a bit hefty mind..... :D
  • supersonic
    I got to admit I hate the pedal feedback sensation, prefer a more neutral design here. But whatever floats yer boat, I keep buying FS then selling them lol.
  • The Rookie
    I've not ridden a high mount single pivot as much as you, but a moderately short ride put me off and I wasn't sure I'd get used to it, just after I decided not to get a superlight the Niota came up and I've not looked back.

I think it really is a personal thing, you either don't think it's an issue or decide it really is!