Why should i get the more expensive (budget) wheels?

mac9091
mac9091 Posts: 196
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
I've done a bit of research, well mainly weight, price and speed compatibility. My budget is £120 as i only have a cheap bike as detailed below, I weigh in at 60-62kg and because i have the claris setup i'd need to shell out upwards of £500 for a slightly better bike, which still may come with poor wheels.

Now i have looked at the following wheelsets:
Campag Khamsin, Campag Khamsin G3, Fulcrum Racing Sport, Fulcrum Racing 7, Mavic Aksium, Shimano RS010, RS11, RS21, RS31, and the R501s,

The weights all range between 1763g (Fulcrum 7) up to 2050g (RS31s) and the price is between £68 (501s) and £120 (aksium), so the cheapest isn't the heaviest and the most expensive isn't the lightest.

Now being Scottish the 501s are the cheapest and come in at 1884g, so can anyone explain why i would/should go for the Fulcrum 7s being that they are only 121g lighter but cost an additional £42?

Also if a wheelset states that it is 9-11 speed or 10-11 speed compatible is that true or can the spacer be removed to allow the 8 speed (Claris) compatibility?

The bike: Carerra Zelos 2014 frame, Tektro brakes, Claris mechs and shifters, FSA 172.5mm compact cranks and stock crappy wheels (not even sure if they are the original ones)

Finally i appreciate your time having read this far, even if you've only scanned it. :D

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Fulcrum 7 are great for the price, so buy those. My set are 4,000 trouble-free miles old.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    You need to add spacers if you have less gears not remove them.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/c ... s-2024.htm

Get these for £99 as they are lighter than all your options above.

Disclaimer: remaining colours may be a bit bling
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    The shimano wheels don't have sealed bearings (not that that's much of an issue as they are easy to service). The rs31's are heavier because they have a slightly deeper rim for improved aerodynamics.

The fulcrum 7s are good wheels but the tyre bead sometimes does not sit right. Easily solved with some soapy water but a pita having to do that each time you refit the tyre.

The aksiums are given the title bullet proof but they last no longer than any other from my experience. This said, I still use them as my preferred winter wheelset.

Tbh you might not notice much of a difference from your stock wheels. They might be a bit lighter but imo you would notice more of a difference getting some better tyres (unless the stock wheels are significantly heavier that is).
  • mac9091
    dstev55 wrote:

Yeah thats what i was meaning to mean. not sure why i put remove, i'll say it was becuase it was late last night.
    <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/clearance-icon-ultra-11speed-wheelsets-2024.htm</span&gt;

Do you have a set yourself? Used the company? Not that i doubt them having an online shop and all but not heard of them. and yes the last colours don't match the bike :) although i wonder if i'd get away with the red ones.

Just need to ask the company why the elite 24 weighs both 1492g AND 1510g :)
    redvision wrote:
    The shimano wheels don't have sealed bearings (not that that's much of an issue as they are easy to service). The rs31's are heavier because they have a slightly deeper rim for improved aerodynamics.

The fulcrum 7s are good wheels but the tyre bead sometimes does not sit right. Easily solved with some soapy water but a pita having to do that each time you refit the tyre.

The aksiums are given the title bullet proof but they last no longer than any other from my experience. This said, I still use them as my preferred winter wheelset.

Tbh you might not notice much of a difference from your stock wheels. They might be a bit lighter but imo you would notice more of a difference getting some better tyres (unless the stock wheels are significantly heavier that is).

Thanks for the info, i'll pull the tyres and cassette off today as its due a good wash and get them weighed up.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Superstar have been around forever - probably more well known in mountain biking circles, they are the go to place for disc brake pads for many. Their hubs are generally rebranded novatec hubs, which is a good thing. Sometimes people say the wheels arent put together as carefully and maybe not tensioned as well as they might be, so need adjusting when received but to be honest, they sell so many wheels that the same is probably just as true of any mass market wheel build. I have had 2 pairs of wheels for the mountain bikes over the years and they have been great. The spec of that wheel is fantastic for the price.
  • mac9091
    If they are that light, then they are definitely added to the top of the list. The 2 year warranty sounds like they trust the wheels and the free trueing is great if you live locally.

As for my current wheels;

The front is 1190 and the rear is 1400, So even the cheapest set of wheels would save me 700g.
  • mac9091
    Bugger it, bought the Elite 30s in red. Can always spray paint them :D

The fact that they are still selling the black rimmed ones for £200, couldn't say no could i. Cheers for the heads up!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    mac9091 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

Yeah thats what i was meaning to mean. not sure why i put remove, i'll say it was becuase it was late last night.
    <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/clearance-icon-ultra-11speed-wheelsets-2024.htm</span&gt;

Do you have a set yourself? Used the company? Not that i doubt them having an online shop and all but not heard of them. and yes the last colours don't match the bike :) although i wonder if i'd get away with the red ones.

Just need to ask the company why the elite 24 weighs both 1492g AND 1510g :)
    redvision wrote:

Thanks for the info, i'll pull the tyres and cassette off today as its due a good wash and get them weighed up.

Yes I gave a set, superstar are a well known UK company. They even have a presence on this forum.

The weights are different depending on which spoke count you opt for IIRC.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mac9091
    The weights are different depending on which spoke count you opt for IIRC.

It was the rim depth, the elite 24 are 24mm and you can guess what the elite 30s are.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I bought a set of the superstar wheels. They're still hanging up in the garage but the look and feel is good.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I really don't know. Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    At the budget the op is looking at the offering from the major manufacturers are all pretty similar. Ignore the claimed weights too these can be wrong. Simano 501 wheels will need servicing every 2000 to 3000 miles fulcrums and others will need the cartridge bearings changed only when they are worn.

You could also look at mich reflex as thsse use very reliable hubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mac9091
    Cheers for the advise guys but especially to 97th choice, bought those wheels and got them fitted today, not had a chance to ride on them but initial impressions are excellent and the colours not that bad.

Cheers for putting me onto them
  • mac9091
    Well had the 1st ride today, don't like it. The lighter wheels didn't make me any faster overall so they are going back :)

Na, may not have been faster but they definitely felt more solid when putting the power down, was clear to feel that acceleration was better and i managed an extra 2 mph going up a regular climb. I wasn't any faster as there was a couple of occasions where the cycle track was very busy so had to dodge a few people and dogs.

Certainly worth the money.
  • mac9091
    If anyone still looks at this.

The wheels have now covered about 1000 miles and are still going strong and true. Now looking for another bike :D