Cannondale Hollowgram Lock ring

MikeBrew
MikeBrew Posts: 814
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
OK, long shot, but does anyone know if this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... -prod74219
would work to remove lock ring as per title ?
The genuine £50 Cannondale jobby is also 8 prong.

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    MikeBrew wrote:
    OK, long shot, but does anyone know if this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... -prod74219
    o

Do you mean this one. If so they look very similar. the shape differential is only to allow an adjustable rather than a Torque/Socket wrench to be used.

http://qwertycycles.co.uk/products/cann ... -ring-tool

Few lads on here ( look on the your road bikes threads at Evo six's ) have put the SISL2 Spider onto the Si chainset or even used the German BOR rings to replace the FSA ones, Is that the kind of thing your planning?
  • MikeBrew
    Yes that is the genuine tool. Need to know if the X tools, tool will work though.

Swapping out a 130bcd spider for a 110, but not BOR rings.
  • MikeBrew
    Took a punt on this anyway, just under a tenner with postage. If it works, I've saved £40 : if it doesn't, I've turned the extortionately priced £50 original Cannondale item into a £60 item...... :shock:
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    This is the one I bought. Out of stock tho at the moment...

http://qwertycycles.co.uk/products/leon ... -ring-tool
  • MikeBrew
    That's a lot more reasonably priced, cheers for that. Cannondale want over £39 for the two wee bolts to extract the crank arms. Essentially , just a self extracting bolt that spends most of it's time in the garage rather than on the bike to save weight. They should really call it a money/p*ss extracting bolt !
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    MikeBrew wrote:
    That's a lot more reasonably priced, cheers for that. Cannondale want over £39 for the two wee bolts to extract the crank arms. Essentially , just a self extracting bolt that spends most of it's time in the garage rather than on the bike to save weight. They should really call it a money/p*ss extracting bolt !

I bought those too: http://qwertycycles.co.uk/products/leon ... t013-leo25
  • tim_wand
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Yes that is the genuine tool. Need to know if the X tools, tool will work though.

Have seen on the other threads that it is possible to put the SISL2 Spider rings onto the SI crankset. Would be grateful appreciative if someone in the know could actually list the parts and tools needed.

I am currently running 6800 with a Wheels manufacturing BB convertor, but would like to run a SISL2 the cheapest way possible. I ve still got my PF30 Bearings and circlips.

If you go on Qwerty ( when in stock ) You can get the Spider ring, Axle and Cranks at not a bad price . I take it you don't really need the self extracting bolts that SRC has, or do you?
  • MikeBrew
    tim wand wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:

Have seen on the other threads that it is possible to put the SISL2 Spider rings onto the SI crankset. Would be grateful appreciative if someone in the know could actually list the parts and tools needed.

I am currently running 6800 with a Wheels manufacturing BB convertor, but would like to run a SISL2 the cheapest way possible. I ve still got my PF30 Bearings and circlips.

If you go on Qwerty ( when in stock ) You can get the Spider ring, Axle and Cranks at not a bad price . I take it you don't really need the self extracting bolts that SRC has, or do you?
    You need the extractor bolts if you ever want to get the things off of the bike eg for cleaning, BB maintenance, chainring replacement etc.
    Unless yo want the ability to swap between110 and 130 bcd spiders, I'd go for Sram Red or FSA SLK-light (or K-light). These are just as light as the Hollow gram, have a better finish, and don't require external tools for removing from the bike.
    You have to remember that Hollowgram is (not very well) painted alloy and marks simply by looking at it. It's SRAM and FSA peers are well finished, protection coated carbon.
    Spider rings are hugely over-priced and, essentially, just for those more interested in staring at the bike than riding it.
  • tim_wand
    MikeBrew wrote:
    tim wand wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:

You need the extractor bolts if you ever want to get the things off of the bike eg for cleaning, BB maintenance, chainring replacement etc.
    Unless yo want the ability to swap between110 and 130 bcd spiders, I'd go for Sram Red or FSA SLK-light (or K-light). These are just as light as the Hollow gram, have a better finish, and don't require external tools for removing from the bike.
    You have to remember that Hollowgram is (not very well) painted alloy and marks simply by looking at it. It's SRAM and FSA peers are well finished, protection coated carbon.
    Spider rings are hugely over-priced and, essentially, just for those more interested in staring at the bike than riding it.

I Know I mentioned adapting an SI rather than running a full on SISL2 , but I was under the impression that the SISL2 was both considerably stiffer and lighter than both a D/A and SRAM Red! The Aesthetic side of it does appeal to me too, but as you say if they are not durable then you would lose that.

110 / 130 BCD , The ability to go from Full 53 to Compact? I can already do this with my 6800 as its 110 BCD for all chainring sizes!

Think I ll stick with what I ve got, See if SRAM wireless ever comes down to a good price point , then look at the SRAM BB30 options.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Original Si, SISL and SiSL2 are lighter/stiffer than DA or Red GXP. I haven't had any finish issues with mine, the narrow Q keeps my heels out from the arms nicely. Compared to SL-K or K-Force, the weight is close for the old 5 arm versions, but not so much for the new 4 arm versions, which aren't BB30 but bb 386Evo. I've used an SLK and a SISL on a CAAD and a SuperSix, and the SISL just feels nicer. SL-k has a tendency to throw the chain off the big ring when you put a burst in that the SISL just doesn't. FSA "Super" rings aren't great overall, but I've had the issue with Cannondale Mk5, Praxis and Ultegra 6600 rings, so I think the issue is in the spider.

Spiderings are very expensive for what they are, no question, and the proprietary tooling puts me off, as well as the inability to change one ring. They're extremely nice in use, though, and shift really well. All things being equal, Praxis rings are almost as light, and shift a little better. I haven't tried the newer, cheaper 8 arm spiderings, though.

With a 6800 group, be aware that the clearance between a SISL crank and the FD is really tight. It works, and I've not had any issues once set up properly, but it's *tight*, and could present problems if you kick out massive watts. Apparently using a Sisl2 spindle can eliminate this, but I haven't had cause to try it yet.

Tool-wise, you don't need anything special to install, and you can modify a square-taper puller to remove SISL arms. The lock-ring tool is needed to change spiders, though.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Just received the genuine parts from Dr Cannondle in Germany, much less expensive even with expensive postage. Pretty annoyed to find the 8 pin tool isn't a hex but for an open ended spanner.
  • Got mine from Qwerty cycles.
    Great shop!
  • new2br
    new2br Posts: 57
    tim wand wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    o

Do you mean this one. If so they look very similar. the shape differential is only to allow an adjustable rather than a Torque/Socket wrench to be used.

http://qwertycycles.co.uk/products/cann ... -ring-tool

Few lads on here ( look on the your road bikes threads at Evo six's ) have put the SISL2 Spider onto the Si chainset or even used the German BOR rings to replace the FSA ones, Is that the kind of thing your planning?

His sorry just read your post from a while back. Was wondering if you could confirm if that X Tools bb tool worked for you as a cheap alternative to the cannondale tool. I'm in the same boat looking to swap chainring but hate to think I need an expensive bespoke tool for a very infrequent maintenance task - even the qwerty cycles tool at half the price of cannondale is still pretty expensive imho!... Would be great to know your experience if the X tool worked or what you ended up buying?...Cheers
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I don't think the X-tools tool works - a question on the CRC link suggests it isn't the right fit
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I know this doesn't help but, I sourced the (spider) ring, new mech, cassette and chain. Bagged it up. Asked my LBS to fit it all. Came to £39 all in.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • JC78DSL99
    JC78DSL99 Posts: 94
    I bought this one -

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/canno ... 12-p218876

£22.49, official Cannondale product.