Good quality mount for Garmin 1000

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,877
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

so I have a 1000 that came with a mount, and that I have used on my Scott, but I would also like to fit an out front mount onto my Synapse, so was pondering whether to buy an original one, for circa £20 (Probably the most sensible option) or look for an aftermarket, and potentially better positioned option.

I would ideally like the mount to work with the mounting plate on the lower half of the mount, ie in this configuration:
61QhMuhOlOL._SL1500_.jpg
However I don't think that will work with the Garmin mount, and you have to have it like this:
71RA9aatU1L._SL1500_.jpg

*EDIT - I thought that mount was 1000 compatible, but it only states up to 810, so I guess not?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Out-Front-Bike-Mount-Computers/dp/B0096855IO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Am I right or wrong, and if I am wrong, is it fairly simple to change the mounting point, so you can run the mount the other way up?

One that can definitely be mounted that way is this sort on ebay - only about £8, but no idea as to quality:
$_57.JPG

Assuming the one I posted above is wrong, do I need one of these extended out front mounts?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Edge-Extended-Front-Mount/dp/B00K75QHX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457644957&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+1000+mount

To the naked eye it doesn't look very extended to me, am I missing something?
Or is it just that it is positioned so you can only mount the device on the upper half as opposed to the lower half...?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Personaly I quite like the standard mount that comes with it.
    Its kind of a semi out front mount which puts the 1000 just above and partially in front of the stem.

If you want it fully in front of stem (and flush with top of bars) then you just need to make sure it is long enough for the 1000.
    The third pic looks long enough to me but I would not trust it to hold my Garmin. I would only trust a branded mount personally.

I have an Enve mount that bolts directly onto front of stem, but as the 1000 is so long it means you have to have the mount 'upside down', it looks silly and the Garmin is stupidly high.
    This type of mount would be ideal (IMO) (as its neater) if it put the 1000 in the same position as the standard one.
    The Enve mount works perfectly with smaller Garmins.

You just need to decide where the 1000 would be best located and there will be a mount to put it there
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for that reply.

Not seen the Enve mounts before - looks very minimal and of course must be perfectly central - shame it is £40 seemingly everywhere:
    89492_1_Supersize.jpg
    One of the reviews I read also said it was a bit too small for the 1000, and was 'wearing the bottom out' of it, not quite sure that meant, but I guess that is why you have had to turn it upside down - guessing it is perfect for the slightly smaller units.

If I do want one to fit on the lower half, I have just stumbled on a K-Edge XL, which appears to do the trick.
    K-Edge-Computer-mount-for-Garmin-Edge-XL-GPS-Cycle-Computers-Black-KE505BK-0.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

I might go for that, put it on the Scott, and migrate the Garmin one across to the Synapse.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Yes, thats the one I have.

The guy has mounted it incorrectly for the 1000, so it is hitting the stem.
    He needs to read the instructions lol.
    It will also mean that the connection plate will be under stress (which is not a good thing) as the stem will be holding it at an angle,
    He needs to flip the mount on the stem, and the connection plate on the mount. It looks pants though :-(
    Sort it out Enve!

The other thing about stem front mounted mounts is that you cannot change the angle.
    This is not a problem for me, but some might prefer it at a different angle to the stem.

The K-Edge XL will be fine if thats where you want the 1000 positioned.
    The 1000 will be in a different position on each bike though, if that kind of thing bothers you.

Not sure thats the XL in the pic?
  • daniel_b
    I hadn't even considered the stem angle situation, but that could prove quite irritating I guess.

Clearly that chap has not read the instructions as you say, sounds like something will snap fairly soon for him.

Shame it looks rubbish up high.

I have plumped for an XL K-Edge - Cyclestore had them for £26 which seemed the best price, went for a gunmetal grey one.

If the different positions really bother me I'll just get another K-Edge - the reviews I read all seemed pretty glowing.

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    One thing to be aware of (that Garmin themselves seems to have forgotten on the Varia mount) is that the speaker for the beeps on the 1000 is in the middle of the quarter-turn mount. Anything that doesn't have a path for the sound from there will muffle the sound. That means any alerts become hard to hear. The K-Edge looks OK - some of the others don't.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Anonymous
    Interesting point about the speaker.

The Garmin and K-Edge have a hole under the speaker, rather than a screw.
    I will check that out between two bikes/mount types ;-)

The Enve has an open back. Maybe this will make sound transmission better?
    It may even enhance Bass lol, Bit like a Bose sound wave thingy does.

The Enve one just does not work satisfactorily with the 1000, so was destined for wife bike to use with her 520.
    That has speaker in the same place though.

If Enve made/included a second, thicker mount disc (or just redesigned it for the 1000) then it would clear the stem.
    They could also fix speaker issue (if it is one).
    I bet they will just make it longer like the K-Edge, but this makes it a 1000 specific mount, and personally I think the 1000 looks/is best where the standard Garmin mount puts it.
    Its quite big to be fully out front, but a lot of people will like it flush with top of bars I guess.