2016 Ksyrium Elite owners please help

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Im looking at buying a set of these for my 2012 Supersix however the frame is a bit on the tight side, particularly on the front. . I've tried a set of Michelin Pro4 endurance 25mm tyres on Aksium rims and they're too high but the Michelin's are high anyway. I usually run 23mm GP4000s with plenty of clearance.

I'd like a set of these new Ksyriums but with a wider rim and tyre size, I could do with knowing the tyre height from the edge of the rim. Could anyone take a measurement for me? Ideally with 25mm GP4000s!

I can get them from the LBS but they're still £100 more than from Germany so it would be a gamble purchase. Would hugely appreciate if anyone happened to have that setup.

Comments

• Can't help with the GP4000s but with the 25mm Yksions supplied with my wheels, the height's a fraction under 24mm.
  • rob13
    Excellent, thanks for that. I reckon they will probably fit then as the Michelins are nearly 27mm high.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Got some ksyrium elite 2016s with gp4000s II 25mm and they fit fine on my 2012 super six.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rob13
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Got some ksyrium elite 2016s with gp4000s II 25mm and they fit fine on my 2012 super six.

Great. Is there still much clearance between tyre and fork?
  • gabriel959
    Enough, checked today and looks like it's between 2mm and 3mm.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    I have a 2011 Scott CR1 which isn't exactly blessed with masses of clearance!

Here is a picture of the front Kysrium Elite 2011 with Continental 4Seasons 25mm

IMG_3485.jpg

And here is the 2016 with the Yksion Pro Griplink 25mm

IMG_3486.jpg

The photo angles are slightly different (I was in a rush) but to my eyes there is slightly more clearance with the 2016.

I'll be putting 4Seasons on the 2016 wheels in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
    Rory
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • rob13
    Thanks for all the replies, and the time to take photos. Merlin have discounted these quite heavily at the moment, although the cheapest are for blue hubs.
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    Bought mine here:

http://www.4thebike.de/search?sSearch=ksyrium+elite

£322.94 delivered, arrived no problem
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 455
    Hi. I have the 2016 Elites with 25mm GPS 4000S fitted to my Focus Cayo.

Clearance is very tight with these tyres and have on occasion picked up stones/ debris which has lodged between tyre and brake( particularly on the rear one).

I love the wheels and the tyres. Great great combination. Tyres much more resilient than the Mavic tyres the wheels came with.

Will need to think carefully when replace whether to revert to 23mm, but much prefer the 25mm.

NB have heard the GPS tyres are 'big' for their size i.e the 23mm are more akin to 25mm to begin with.

Let me know if a picture is useful.

BW
  • rob13
    Im not sure if you can run 23s with these new Ksyriums? The spec sheet suggests 25mm minimum.

The concern over whether these will fit has led me to consider paying a bit more for a uk return option if they dont fit. 4thebike.de is cheap though, I don't know how they do it as other German competitors are nowhere near their prices.
  • gabriel959
    They run fine, went for a ride today, 73 miles of country lanes, full of mud, branches, etc, no issues, yes they are tight, but there is enough clearance there.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x