Thoughts on tyres set up

geordiebrian
geordiebrian Posts: 63
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
What your thoughts on tyres set up for the sumer I'm going to put nobby nic up front and racing ralph on the rear

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on how and where you ride, personally most years I run a Ron and a Ralph.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I like High Roller super tacky or Specialized Butcher front and rear.
    Depends where and how you ride.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Personally I run a Rocket Ron 2.1 rear and Hands Dampf 2.3 front, both snake skin protected for Summer use...tubeless.

For Winter I fitted a pair of Specialized Storm Control which have been good, I have found the sidewalls a bit prone to rock cuts, nothing that the Sealant couldn't deal with though.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I tend to use a bontrager xr4 on the front and was until recently using a specialized ground control on the rear.

I've changed the rear to an xc x-king tyre which seems to cope well so far with the wet weather, was thinking of trying one on the front as I got 2 on ebay for 26pound not black chilli ones but grip well I have found so far.

I tend to ride over a wide variety of surfaces so went for a grippy tyre in light mud to something that wont drag too much over hard pack/tarmac etc
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I live in a weird place with load of sand an hardpack so been using a chunky monkey 2.3 up front an a Rocket Ron 2.25 on the back. May have an experiment this summer though.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    High Roller II on the front and an Ardent Race on the back to try to claw back some roll.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I've replaced my maxxis medusa with nobby nic tyres and what a difference great tyres well happy with them the medusa where great in the mud but shit on the hard stuff, the nobby are great all-rounder tyre will be putting a racing ralph up front when the weather is a bit drier