Is this a good build for £630 Giant Defy 0 frame

cogden2
cogden2 Posts: 14
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking at buying a road bike/commuter but also toying with the idea of building on up.

2016 Giant Defy 0 Frame, Fork, Headset, Stem, Bars, Steatpost and saddle £260 on ebay

Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset Black - £300 - Merlincycles

Giant P-R2 Wheels £70 - ebay or an upgrade?

£630 minus cables, grip tape, pedels

Seems quite a compelling idea? decent bang for my buck?

Opinions?

Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    cogden2 wrote:
    Looking at buying a road bike/commuter but also toying with the idea of building on up.

2016 Giant Defy 0 Frame, Fork, Headset, Stem, Bars, Steatpost and saddle £260 on ebay

Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset Black - £300 - Merlincycles

Giant P-R2 Wheels £70 - ebay or an upgrade?

£630 minus cables, grip tape, pedels

Seems quite a compelling idea? decent bang for my buck?

Opinions?

Thanks

You'll save a few quid on the groupset if you look at Ribble.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-1 ... -groupset/

Just bought the 105 5800 with the med cage rear mech and 11-32 cassette for £296.43. Will cost you a bit more at Merlin if you want a similar set-up. If you just want the short cage mech and 11-28 cassette then the Ribble price is £289.95

Mine arrived yesterday - you don't get it boxed - the individual components are in separate bags with the relevant data sheets.
  • cogden2
    cogden2 Posts: 14
    I read that they are parts removed from unsold items / bikes to make them up and Shimano don't accept the warranty? Or that's the case with chain reaction
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Your ebay links don't work. Does the frame come with the pressfit Shimano BB?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    cogden2 wrote:
    I read that they are parts removed from unsold items / bikes to make them up and Shimano don't accept the warranty? Or that's the case with chain reaction

No they are not parts removed from unsold bikes.

They are new parts as would be ordered by bike manufacturers to build up the bikes they sell commercially ie OEM.

The components I received from Ribble are all new and unmarked and include installation data sheets, the shifters come with all the inner and outer cables and ferrules etc. What you miss out on are the Shimano blue boxes and in my case the gizmo for setting up the FD cable alignment
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    cogden2 wrote:

It shouldn't matter if Shimano do or do not accept warranty claims on OEM parts, as your warranty is with the retailer. However it would surprise me if Shimano didn't. How would they know if the part was fitted as original equipment to a bike or not?