Lizzie Armitstead... cool as a Cucumber

2»

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Has anyone mentioned how fabulous Lizzie Armitstead is lately?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    No, they are too busy complaining about sticky bottles and giving drops cycling a hard time...

Chapeau to Lizzie for this gesture as well as winning the race overall.

_90021942_british_cycling.jpg
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I remember seeing her as an 18/19 year old at Manchester Velodrome. From the way she rode that night you just expected her to go on an do big things in the sport. Clearly both talented and driven. It is a shame that 90% of our young female population probably have no clue who she is, yet probably follow every step of the Kardashians as their ultimate role models.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    squired wrote:
    I remember seeing her as an 18/19 year old at Manchester Velodrome. From the way she rode that night you just expected her to go on an do big things in the sport. Clearly both talented and driven. It is a shame that 90% of our young female population probably have no clue who she is, yet probably follow every step of the Kardashians as their ultimate role models.

This and then some. In Lizzie & Jess Ennis the UK (& Yorkshire) have 2 of the finest role models you'd want young women to aspire to - driven, determined, not afraid to hold their ground and stand up for their opinion, and have actually worked & achieved something of substance. Yet young women are bombarded in print and broadcast media with vacuous airheads whose 'achievement' is remembering a few scripted lines whilst hanging out in bars in Essex, waiting for their next visit to the plastic surgeon.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    A bit harsh on the young that.

re: drops getting a hard time. I only saw something about Sarah Connolly saying that drops would be better served in a development race, which is probably true. Twitter seems to involve lots of people taking offence at others.

What I most admire about LA is not that she has talent, but that she has the ability to learn, culminating in the WC sprint stand off.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    She is (will be) the British equivalent of Leontien Van Moorsel and I doubt that LVM ever went under the radar in Holland.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ...I had a long chat with one of LVM's domestiques at 5am in a dodgy rock club a few weeks ago...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    ddraver wrote:
    ...I had a long chat with one of LVM's domestiques at 5am in a dodgy rock club a few weeks ago...

I bet you did. Come on, spill...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    PuttyKnees wrote:

re: drops getting a hard time. I only saw something about Sarah Connolly saying that drops would be better served in a development race, which is probably true. Twitter seems to involve lots of people taking offence at others.

What I most admire about LA is not that she has talent, but that she has the ability to learn, culminating in the WC sprint stand off.

I thought that twitter criticism was unfair especially as it came from people only following the race through twitter,but Drops did really well afaiwc, you dont finish 10th out of 16 as a team through sticky bottles,, they are UCI registered,one of the top domestic UK teams at the moment, theyd have won the TourSeries if not for that last lap crash, so I didnt see the problem with them being invited.

tbh theres more chance of the next Lizzie Armitstead coming from their ranks than there is anywhere else at the moment. Id certainly expected more from the British National team, I know they suffered setbacks you cant plan for,illness,crashes,just too heavy a programme and its not their fault, but I had expected them to be further up challenging more.

but anyway thats all OT, I think the change with Lizzie is she now has the belief or the calmness of self belief that she can beat anyone, and she has an amazingly cool as cucumber like team she gels totally with :)
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Agree!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    awavey wrote:
    PuttyKnees wrote:

I thought that twitter criticism was unfair especially as it came from people only following the race through twitter,but Drops did really well afaiwc, you dont finish 10th out of 16 as a team through sticky bottles,, they are UCI registered,one of the top domestic UK teams at the moment, theyd have won the TourSeries if not for that last lap crash, so I didnt see the problem with them being invited.

They (or at least some of their riders and manager) reacted awfully to what was a very mild bit of criticism and in doing so have squandered a fair bit of goodwill that would normally go with an ambitious team trying to develop UK talent to take the next step up with one of the nicest kits about at the moment.
  • pinno
    The kit makes all the difference :wink:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not sure why she's got London 2012 kit on when WC bands are more recent but probably less recognisable to the general public.
    13398618_581693342002629_1648599012_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI3NzY1NzM5OTA4NjkxMzY0Mw%3D%3D.2
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.