Updating a Powertap 2.4 to ANT+

mr.b-campag
mr.b-campag Posts: 411
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Some one on here kindly gave me an updater to update my old Powertap 2.4 to ANT+. I followed these instructions:

http://www.powertap.fr/themes/powertaps ... er_ENG.pdf

All seemed to go as planned but I'm having trouble pairing it with the old head unit (lyc), though I've only tried on the turbo so far. The instructions on that pdf suggest I need to update the firmware on the head unit but the link (unsurprisingly) no longer works. The pdf it also states that the wheel should now be broadcasting in both the old and new protocols which makes me think such an update is unnecessary.

Can anyone on here who has been through this cast their minds back and recall how they updated and if they managed to use their lyc afterwards? Would I expect to find a new device id?

Thanks in advance for any light people can shed on this.

Comments

• proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Will it pair to a Garmin device?
  • mr.b-campag
    That will be my next step - going to try my bosses once we coincide at the bike sheds!
  • I think you can update the LYC (cervo) using the free powertap poweragent software

http://www.powertap.com/product/poweragent
  • mr.b-campag
    Thanks. It says the firmware is up to date - firmware version 5.670 - I've seen elsewhere references to a version 7.6 but this is not offered when I try and update via PowerAgent. Anyone any ideas where I might find this newer firmware?
  • I had one of the dual signal pro hubs, so did not actually use the updater.
    IIRC there were at least two versions of the cervo, one of these was a basic version, and the another a pro version. I have just dug mine out of the garage and it is indeed the pro version with 7.6 firmware. Yours may be the lower version which was not update-able to the 7.6 firmware. You possibly need the pro version to work with the updated hub.

I can only suggest, as someone said earlier, that you try and pair with an ANT+ head unit to see if there is any signal from the hub.
    I only kept the cervo, while using ant+, so I could check the hub calibration, as this was not always available when using ant+ head units with some earlier hub.
  • mr.b-campag
    Well I tried briefly to see if my bosses' Garmin fitwatch would pick up my hub, but no joy. I'll try and see if it can learn it but given it didn't 'see' it I'm not holding out much hope. Beyond that, anyone any ideas what I can do? I've changed the batteries (and battery holder) - what else can I do?
  • I don't think you can't do any more than that yourself unless you have another go at updating it. The updater units usually have 2 attempts programmed in. Otherwise you will have to send it to the service agent and part with a big wedge of cash.

I had a couple of powertaps but they were too temperamental for my liking, so I changed to a crank based powermeter.
  • mr.b-campag
    Finally managed to test the wheel on a modern Garmin which picked it up straight away but only speed not power! Presumably that now means it is broadcasting in ANT+. Anyone any ideas why that might be? Would the head unit have to learn the hub before displaying power?
  • Powertap hubs don't do speed, only power and cadence. You've paired with a speed sensor somewhere.
    You need to set the head unit to search for a power meter and then pair it as you would with any ant+ sensor. The garmin display also needs to be set to show power on the screen.
  • mr.b-campag
    Thanks Paul, that's helpful. The Garmin was showing power on screen along with a couple of other metrics but perhaps my friend has some sort of speed sensor fitted on his bike and I'd not realised. Still it sounds like there might yet be a chance to get this thing working again, as the Garmin did flash up the bud ID which presumably means it is broadcasting.
  • mr.b-campag
    Saying that, this was tested on a friend's bike who also runs a Powertap (a more modern G3) and I'm not aware of any speed sensor he would need to have fitted as the Garmin would provide a speed reading (via estimated cadence and wheel circumference measurement I assume)?

Anyway hopefully my other friend (I have two!) will be able to work this out. The main problem has been that I don't own a Garmin and have been having to use other people's so I've not been able to send a lot of time with it.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I have a g3 and it provides speed. I dont use a speed/cadence sensor.
  • hey Mr.B-Campag do you still have the updater? and would you sell it