Catch-up on Eurosport smart TV app?

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited March 2017 in Pro race
I got a new smart TV that has the Eurosport app.
I've logged in and got the live channels fine, but assumed that I would be able to access the catch-up service through it too?
I gave up and watched Monday's Paris-Nice stage on my laptop instead...
Am I missing something?

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I got a new smart TV that has the Eurosport app.
    I've logged in and got the live channels fine, but assumed that I would be able to access the catch-up service through it too?
    I gave up and watched Monday's Paris-Nice stage on my laptop instead...
    Am I missing something?

You have to pay for it. I have it on my Samsung but it won't even load.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I can see on demand videos through the main menu (red button) on Samsung TV's Eurosport Player. Currently Paris Nice stages, Strada Bianche, track etc.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Mechanism wrote:
    I can see on demand videos through the main menu (red button) on Samsung TV's Eurosport Player. Currently Paris Nice stages, Strada Bianche, track etc.

+1

I discovered this for the first time yesterday! (Samsung TV, Eurosport player app & subscription).
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    my LG smart TV doesn't have catch up facility so I use the laptop or chromecast for that
  • Secteur
    ovi wrote:
    my LG smart TV doesn't have catch up facility so I use the laptop or chromecast for that

It's a feature of the App, not the TV (as I understand it) - so if you have the Eurosport Player App on your TV, you will have the catchup.

I certainly do on my LG TV (as well as my Samsung TV).
  • Oh thanks for all this - looks like I should have it. Not that it would have been much good for yesterday's stage ....
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Watch it on cyclinghub.tv mate
  • Secteur wrote:
    ovi wrote:

It's a feature of the App, not the TV (as I understand it) - so if you have the Eurosport Player App on your TV, you will have the catchup.

OK, but are there two different apps - 'Eurosport app' and 'Eurosport player app'...?
    I have a Samsung TV and it's got Eurosport app but I am not having much luck locating on-demand videos ....
  • ovi
    Secteur wrote:
    ovi wrote:

I use the eurosport app on my LG tv but it doesn't have catch up
  • I know you'll all be relieved to know I found it last night - forgotten how exactly but think it involved pressing the red button a lot.
  • ovi
    let me know if you remember the way you got it to work please, out of interest what TV are you using?
  • I tried pressing the red button on my telly, but then the screen went black. Realised it was the Power switch
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    I tried pressing the red button on my telly, but then the screen went black-and-white. Realised it was the Power switch

Lol.

I too have an lg tv, which has a built in app, and I could never get catchup to work either.
    So do we think if I can find a slightly different app it might become available?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ovi wrote:
    let me know if you remember the way you got it to work please, out of interest what TV are you using?

Sorry been away. It's a Samsung UE32H6400.
    Not used it since Paris-Nice but will have another go tonight and see how I got the menu up.
  • So you just press the red button twice and a menu appears on which 'on demand' is one option.
    However it is the sh * ttest catch-up service on earth - it's 8.30pm and still no paris-roubaix.
    Effing infuriating.
  • ovi
    the last 10 km to go and it all started getting jerkey then I never got to see the finish.
  • STILL not there. Symptomatic of the great technology con - you get conned into buying all sorts of crap, because there's little alternative, and then it doesn't do what it is meant to.
  • Secteur
    Well it now seems that Samsung tv's have dropped Eurosport app and no longer support it (as of today, with no warning. It was working yesterday).

So I have bought (over the last 18 months) three new Samsung tv's - each bought above other brands specifically because they had the Eurosport player app installed. It's the only "app" I use on the smart tv.

Access can be had via iPad / Apple TV but it's a bit of a faff and certainly beyond the abilities of my 80yr old dad who has now effectively lost access to his beloved Cycling on tv.

What is it about Eurosport app that is so awkward / backwards.

PS gave up trying to watch the Vuelta on Sunday as it was constantly freezing - it would play for about 3 seconds, then freeze for about 6 seconds, constantly for the entire stage. Not a connection problem as all the other Eurosport player channels were playing smoothly. Only ever seems to affect the cycling feeds. Over the years I have tweeted Eurosport many times when this happens, and never once had a reply or acknowledgement. They just don't care - honestly flabbergasted by their level of customer support (see multiple threads here)

How hard can it be to just get lice cycling to the masses (who don't have sky tv?!)
  • daniel_b
    :-(

I took out a full 12 months subscription today, only to go to the app on my LG tv, and be told that the product had been suspended, but could still be used on other devices.
    Hoping this is not permanent.

So I thought I would get around it by simply using the browser and navigating to the website and sign in that way, but when I try and log in, it won't actually allow me to enter any information.

I have ordered a mouse and keyboard that should in theory work with my TV, hoping that might give some assistance.

Aside from that, is the only way to get the picture on the TV to purchase a cable to push a feed from my lapptop to it, treating it as an external monitor?

What a PITA.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Daniel B wrote:
    Aside from that, is the only way to get the picture on the TV to purchase a cable to push a feed from my lapptop to it, treating it as an external monitor?

That's what I do, not a huge effort really (just a HDMI or VGA will do).

Would prefer they had an app for Playstation really, but laptop works fine.
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    Same thing happened to me today. My Subscription went to them on Monday. Bit of time off this afternoon, sit down to watch the Vuelta and I discover the Samsung App service is suspended. Its the only platform I use Eurosport on.
    I tried working around it and using the browser, got logged in and the schedule up. Message then came up that the browser was not 'Flash 5 ??' compatible and wouldn't let me go any further.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    /\ that'll be because the browser on smart TVs is usually a heap of junk.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I'm hoping its a fairly short-term suspension of the service for smart TVs. I know I should ask them but in the past they were very slow to reply.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,559
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Can't you use Chromecast if you don't want to use a cable?
  • daniel_b
    dish_dash wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Never heard of that - for £25 that seems like a very neat solution - especially as you could presumably send the feed from your phone for example.

Ordered - will collect later!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ovi
    the app is fine on the amazon firestick and is better than chromecast that I also use and it has better access to free movies using Kodi too
  • daniel_b
    dish_dash wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion - bought the other day for £25, configured this morning, took about 10 minutes, nothing difficult, and streaming Eurosport now on the telly :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Secteur wrote:
    Well it now seems that Samsung tv's have dropped Eurosport app and no longer support it (as of today, with no warning. It was working yesterday).

So I have bought (over the last 18 months) three new Samsung tv's - each bought above other brands specifically because they had the Eurosport player app installed. It's the only "app" I use on the smart tv.

Access can be had via iPad / Apple TV but it's a bit of a faff and certainly beyond the abilities of my 80yr old dad who has now effectively lost access to his beloved Cycling on tv.

What is it about Eurosport app that is so awkward / backwards.

PS gave up trying to watch the Vuelta on Sunday as it was constantly freezing - it would play for about 3 seconds, then freeze for about 6 seconds, constantly for the entire stage. Not a connection problem as all the other Eurosport player channels were playing smoothly. Only ever seems to affect the cycling feeds. Over the years I have tweeted Eurosport many times when this happens, and never once had a reply or acknowledgement. They just don't care - honestly flabbergasted by their level of customer support (see multiple threads here)

How hard can it be to just get lice cycling to the masses (who don't have sky tv?!)

This. It's the great technology con. Nothing you pay for will necessarily do what it is meant to do, at least for anything more than a year.