first road bike

ChristKaps
ChristKaps Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
hello guys.
So, after some years mountain biking, i decided that it is time to buy a road bike.
After spending so much money for my lapierre spicy's upgrades, my budget is super low, for like 600-700 euros.
The 2 bikes i have considered the best for this price range are:
Scott Speedster 60
Giand Defy 5
Which one of them would you recommend?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    The Scott bike has carbon fork legs, the Defy 5 has an all alloy fork, you need to look at the Defy 4 as a comparison. I can't find the geometry dimensions on the Scott website, however they describe it as having F01 race characteristics, whereas the Defy is endurance geometry. You need to go to a stockist and try them both for size/fit to decide which you prefer.
  • well, (newbie question) is it a big difference on geometry? :p
    however, testing here in greece is just impossible, and i cannot even find giant bikes in my town(i mean shops that can order them-asked all of them today) , so i believe it would be better going for the scott from a local shop.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    May be worth looking at for something second hand.
    Your first one may not suit you - so if it's second hand then you can probably sell it in six months for about what you paid and then make a more informed purchase decision.
  • :wink: i just came across this one http://www.car.gr/classifieds/bicycles/view/7703108/
    i think it is the right size, (i am 1,82m and 80kg).
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    For your first road bike, whether it is new from a shop or S.H., it is probably the better option than buying online, unless you are very sure that you know which geometry/size bike you require.