Riding tubs in L'Etape du Tour

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited March 2016 in Road general
Hi guys,

What are people's thoughts on riding tubs in etape du tour?

Comments

• paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Why wouldn't you?

Paul
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Less chance of a blow out if you drag the brakes on a descent and your wheels will be lighter than clinchers. If you're worried about a flat take some Tufo Extreme which will cover both wheels should the worst happen (less space required compared to a couple of cans of Pit Stop) as well as a spare tub.
  • forestnot1
    forestnot1 Posts: 244
    Paul - punctures really, ease of changing, spares to carry etc...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Only ride them if you do normally on your long rides and are competent at changing them. If you're not - then stick to what you know. You really shouldnt blow a tyre unless you've overinflated it.
  • thegreatdivide
    Fenix wrote:
    You really shouldnt blow a tyre unless you've overinflated it.

Eh? Have you never had a tyre blow out before? I can assure you when it happened to me it had sod all to do with over inflation and everything to do with a shard of metal.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    I assume they mean blow one due to overheating the rim ? As for using tubs - you'd be very unlucky to suffer more than one puncture that the sealant couldn't hold - the only issue would be how you fix the spare tub to the rim if you need to - I assume you'd be using tape as I would want to know it was properly stuck on if I'm on a mountain descent.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • thegreatdivide
    I meant a blowout is pretty much negated from overheating if you're on tubs - i.e. my first post. No idea what Fenix is on about. However a potential fatal (hopefully just to the tyre and not the rider) 'blow out' due to a large cut - the one that makes the big bang sound, trashes the tyre and causes severe panic when you're going full pelt down a hill - will mean a back up tub is also a good idea.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I ride tubs everywhere all the time (commuting in winter aside - but I still use tubs on all my weekend group rides throughout the year). I'd have thought something like l'Etape is the perfect time to use them. Just carry a spare and a can of sealant, and practice changing a tub at the roadside (not hard to do). Safer on descents, lighter rims, better ride quality - what's not to like?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    TGD - I've blown one tyre as much as I recall. That was due to me being a bit keen with the pump and a lot of braking on the Alpe from traffic after the tour.

I've blown a few more tubs than that. OK they'll stay on the rim but miles per blowout for me tubs lose out. Your mileage may vary.

If the OP rides tubs normally then yeah why not but you'd take a spare.

If the OP isn't used to tubs then just ride tyres as normal. It's not like they give a massive benefit.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    forestnot1 wrote:
    Hi guys,

What are people's thoughts on riding tubs in etape du tour?

Many do - many don't. If you do already, then carry on. If you don't, there's no particular benefit in switching.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I'll be riding this year's Etape on tubs. Nothing beats that tub feeling!
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    forestnot1 wrote:
    Paul - punctures really, ease of changing, spares to carry etc...
    I wouldn't just ride tubs in the Etape, it makes no sense to special case it. But if you ride tubs more generally then it would make even less sense to put clinchers on for the event.

I've ridden tubs the last two summers, primarily to access cheap carbon rims without too much risk, and that includes the Etape in 2014 and 2015. I pre-load them with a small dose of Stans and carry a spare tyre. I've never needed the spare.

Paul
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    My best advice is to ride what you are used to.
    Do you have a tubular wheelset?
    Do you ride regularly using them?
    If not, then stick to clinchers, bud.
    Your inexperience will count against you should you have that always possible malfunction a long long long way from home.
    Sealant has let me down bad style before.. in a race, I climb off .. s hit happens and I get a lift back to HQ and suck it up.. you 'll want to finish this ride come hell or high water... why risk it?