Single tooth narrow/ wide chainring?

bailsofhay
bailsofhay Posts: 191
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been looking for a new chainring for my 1x9 setup and I came across a Single Tooth Narrow Wide on ebay which seems to have a single thin tooth directly opposite what looks like a gap with the rest of the teeth normal.

I can't seem to find any info on this type of chainring but it's cheap and I was wondering if anyone has used one before or knew if they are any good/ crap?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds weird.
    Link?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Poitr
    Poitr Posts: 35
    I think it's a photoshop fail as they all look normal in the other pics.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, that said 38T on a 1x9 isn't going to climb much.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bailsofhay
    I see what your saying though why they would need to photoshop it I couldn't guess.

Luckily I don't need to climb much being in the fens with its majestically boring flats though sometimes with the wind it seems like a uphill struggle. I currently have an old 36t up front because I couldn't be bothered replacing my FD(used to be a triple) when its spring lost its tension from being under used so I thought I may as well try a 38t as it was so cheap.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The pic has been mirrored for some reason, hence the skinny tooth at the top and missing one at the bottom......why I have no idea but you'll notice that even with both those teeth counted it's a 32t!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bailsofhay
    You're right, weird as its labeled 38t. In the other pics the plain black on is 38t but doesn't look as nicely machined so there is something odd going on there, ebay trickery me thinks. I shall avoid falling for it and stump up for a nicer 36t to replace the worn one.