Bike Friendly Lake District Accommodation for 6-8

rider25
rider25 Posts: 72
edited March 2016 in Road general
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend accommodation for 1 night in the Lake District for 6-8 people with secure bike storage? The plan is to ride up from North Manchester so the accommodation can't be much further north than Ambleside.

It needn't be flash - just somewhere to rest for the night (oh, and with easy access to pub grub) before the return journey the next day.

Cheers, folks.

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Not sure about elsewhere, but I did a little bit of research into facilities in Ambleside's accommodation (as part of my job), and the following places 'claimed' to offer cycle storage. I haven't stayed in any (I live up here anyway), but here it is:

http://www.brathay-lodge.co.uk Quite a large place, around 20 rooms
    http://www.thegables-ambleside.co.uk/ Around 10 rooms
    http://www.lakeslodge.co.uk 16 rooms last time I checked
    http://www.lyndale-guesthouse.co.uk Quite small, 6 rooms?
    http://www.meadowbank.org.uk Again only about 7 rooms
    http://www.highfield-ambleside.co.uk Again, limited rooms
    http://www.2cambridgevillas.co.uk maybe too small at only 5 rooms

Of course this isn't exhaustive, and their policies on bike storage may have changed since I looked into this, but it's a start!
  • rider25
    A very good start! Many thanks.

All other shouts appreciated.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    having done this many times, the biggest problem you'll find is the one night booking especially at weekends, they don't (rightly so) like to lose out on the 2/3 night bookings because one nights taken up
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    but with the A590 closed, they say they are not getting as many visitors so you could be lucky, staying further afield such as Kendal will make it even easier
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    but with the A590 closed, they say they are not getting as many visitors so you could be lucky, staying further afield such as Kendal will make it even easier
    Its the A591, and north of Grasmere. Visitor numbers are down a bit. Do come, its lovely! :mrgreen:

Living here I'm afraid I don't know which places are decent to stay wth bikes. Give places in Staveley a try too (between Kendal & Windermere) - its a bit of a cycling hotspot having Wheelbase cycles there and a few cracking MTB routes, plus some lovely quiet lanes.

Further north, Denton House hostel in Keswick is great. And the ride from Grasmere through to Keswick on the west side of Thirlmere will be rather quieter than usual, shuttle buses aside.
  • bianchimoon
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Its the A591, and north of Grasmere. Visitor numbers are down a bit. Do come, its lovely! :mrgreen:

Living here I'm afraid I don't know which places are decent to stay wth bikes. Give places in Staveley a try too (between Kendal & Windermere) - its a bit of a cycling hotspot having Wheelbase cycles there and a few cracking MTB routes, plus some lovely quiet lanes.

Further north, Denton House hostel in Keswick is great. And the ride from Grasmere through to Keswick on the west side of Thirlmere will be rather quieter than usual, shuttle buses aside.
    What's "1" between friends :D
    So can you cycle dunmail raise and take the road around west of Thirlmere? i.e. is it only closed to cars?
  • rider25
    Thanks folks. Will do some digging and make a few phones calls!
  • Guanajuato

So can you cycle dunmail raise and take the road around west of Thirlmere? i.e. is it only closed to cars?
    Yes. Currently there's a narrow temporary road forworks vehicles, shuttle bus, cyclists & pedestrians. There are signs for cyclists to dismount and there is a section where, if you meet a bus you'll really have to squeeze over. The whole bypass bit is about 300m long and links with the western shore road. Sometime in April there'll be a tarmac path open between the top of Dunmail linking directly to the west shore road, so completely bypassing the main road once it reopend - which is a Very Good Thing! :mrgreen:

The '1' is important. Wouldn't want you getting lost and ending up in Barrow! :shock:
  • bianchimoon
    Guanajuato wrote:

Yes. Currently there's a narrow temporary road forworks vehicles, shuttle bus, cyclists & pedestrians. There are signs for cyclists to dismount and there is a section where, if you meet a bus you'll really have to squeeze over. The whole bypass bit is about 300m long and links with the western shore road. Sometime in April there'll be a tarmac path open between the top of Dunmail linking directly to the west shore road, so completely bypassing the main road once it reopend - which is a Very Good Thing! :mrgreen:

The '1' is important. Wouldn't want you getting lost and ending up in Barrow! :shock:

Crikey good point, that would be a big mistake :D
  • Guanajuato wrote:

From a Barrovian - "Oi!" haha
  • Guanajuato
    jonnyb_123 wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:

:mrgreen:
    You'd probably think you've had a dodgy gel when you ride past a field full of Giraffes, Rhinos & Baboons near Dalton. :lol:
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    jonnyb_123 wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:

:mrgreen:
    You'd probably think you've had a dodgy gel when you ride past a field full of Giraffes, Rhinos & Baboons near Dalton. :lol:

Assuming you don't get ran over by an escaped Rhino or eaten by a Lion (both have happened) lol
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Try one of the many YHA. I've stayed in a few of these with bikes and they have been good.