Maria Sharapova

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ^^On the other hand I suspect most of us know quite how good a well timed caffeine gel can be.

This is more like the equivalnet of a Finish bottle crammed with Caffeine and Tramadol. Illegal no (before...), somewhat uncool ethically - yes
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Just while we're on the subject, asthma inhalers? Certain cyclists have TUE's for these, surely something that opens the airways will benefit/give an advantage over people who don't use them. I accept there will be degrees of asthma and some people are in dire need of them to live a normal life, but as a third of team sky riders suffered from exercise induced asthma as well as 70% of the british swimming team. Does anyone here suffer from exercise induced asthma to throw more light on the subject
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    People seem to be unable to grasp what constitutes cheating. If it is not breaking any rules then it is not cheating. Ergo New Years eve she wasn't cheating, New Years day she was.
    BTW Those of you who claim she has cheated for 10 years, how do you know what other substances players were taking? Countless other players may have been on 'medication' that was allowed within the rules. It is not cheating.
    The difference is that Sharapova was ahem, dopey enough to carry on using.
    Sport draws a red line in what is allowed and what not. One side is cheating, the other, clean.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Ballysmate wrote:
    The difference is that Sharapova was ahem, dopey enough to carry on using.

Which is the boggling part of the story.
    tick - tick - tick
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Some interesting insight on it here. Does rather make it sound like she was only using it to gain an unfair (albeit legal) advantage...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    More uninformed speculation but hey this is the internet innit.

As the Aus Open is held 2nd half of January, maybe she didn't take it in 2016, so on the right side of legal, but traces picked up from her prior 10 years habit?

Anyone have any facts :? on for how long after taking this product that a drug test will pick it up?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Enjoyed one of the BBC takes on this.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35754677

Made me laugh..
    Or that Abeba Aregawi, 2013 world 1500m champion, has also tested positive for a drug well known to aid endurance and recovery, or that a 2015 study revealed that 724 of 4,316 Russian athletes tested were found to have meldonium in their system.

Maybe Sharapova is unlucky. Maybe there is an epidemic of heart disease among elite athletes, or that some of those others are cheating when Sharapova has merely been a little lax with her admin.

But at the end of the day, what she was doing was legal (until 01/01/2016) , no different to a protein shake, you may consider it unethical but it was legal. The 'family doctor', etc. is all PR fluff and damage limitation.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    In Grand Slams all the quarter finalists are tested so i'm inclined to believe i was a genuine mistake, maybe? possibly?

She must have known that she would be tested and that she was taking the substance.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    orraloon wrote:
    More uninformed speculation but hey this is the internet innit.

As the Aus Open is held 2nd half of January, maybe she didn't take it in 2016, so on the right side of legal, but traces picked up from her prior 10 years habit?

Anyone have any facts :? on for how long after taking this product that a drug test will pick it up?

Can't answer your question. However WADA announced that they were considering the ban at the start of 2015 and announced the ban 1st Sept 2016 - that's four months notice. Anyone with a genuine medical need to use the drug would have time to discuss that with WADA or other professional bodies and look at the possibility of the drug still being in their system post-ban.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Chris Bass wrote:
    In Grand Slams all the quarter finalists are tested so i'm inclined to believe i was a genuine mistake, maybe? possibly?

She must have known that she would be tested and that she was taking the substance.

I wonder if people knew they had a test for it....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Lisinopril is easily found in urine samples (uk version) as I take it myself. I think she is naive and innocent and shouldn't be banned.

People will argue that rules are rules but that isn't really the case,

If you kill someone you can be guilty of murder, manslaughter or self defence.
    The outcome is the same, someone is dead but the sentence can be nothing, all the way through to life in prison.
    Living MY dream.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Just to clarify my earlier posts. I'm not calling it cheating to use the prescription meds without any medical condition requiring them such that the only benefits possible are performance/recovery for the athlete and financial for the prescribing doctor. I am calling it unethical. IMHO there's a big difference in that. Cheating involves rules/laws being broken, unethical is merely my judgement on what is right and fair. Your view will be different.

Considering almost all medical drugs have side affects unnecessarily taking them is a decision of risks vs benefits even if you have the relevant medical condition. To take it for sporting performance only would for most be more on the side of risks than benefits.
  • VTech
    I do wonder if there is evidence of heart or blood pressure in her medical records, that will say a lot to be honest.
    Living MY dream.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    VTech wrote:
    I do wonder if there is evidence of heart or blood pressure in her medical records, that will say a lot to be honest.

Confidential.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    To be using a drug that is designed to help patients with angina or myocardial infarction she's either
    A) very ill
    B) A medical miracle to have been playing elite sport for 10 years
    C) someone who was using a legal drug to enhance performance for 10 years
    D) as above, but started cheating in 2016
    The residual drug in the system argument is a nonsense or and her high powered, highly paid attorney's would have used it
    The "I didn't know it was banned argument" isn't even worth discussing. Ignorance is no excuse blah, blah
    If she 'had' a medical issue there are plenty of US drugs that would help the issues, but the facts speak for themselves.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    VTech wrote:
    Lisinopril is easily found in urine samples (uk version) as I take it myself. I think she is naive and innocent and shouldn't be banned.

The outcome is the same, someone is dead but the sentence can be nothing, all the way through to life in prison.
    Lisinopril is categorically not the same thing as meldonium. You are as wrong about this as everything else.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    VTech wrote:

She may be naive and innocent but the problem is how to distinguish between those who are and those who are cheats - unfortunately the punishment for being naive and innocent in these cases has to be a ban otherwise lots of cheats will get away with it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • VTech
    bompington wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Lisinopril is categorically not the same thing as meldonium. You are as wrong about this as everything else.

Not exactly, I've always found you to be a knob, I'm sure I'm correct in that thought ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    She's been caught cheating. That's it.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    I still would.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Poitr
    Poitr Posts: 35
    She has enhanced endurance afterall :D
  • bompington
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I still would.
    https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/status/7 ... lang=en-gb
    "Hearing a lot from guys who "still would" with Maria Sharapova. World Anti-Dickhead Agency really struggling to keep pace here"
  • bompington
    VTech wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Not exactly, I've always found you to be a knob, I'm sure I'm correct in that thought ?
    I'm deeply saddened to hear that you feel that way. I have actually always admired you, as a shining example of someone who appears to have made a great success of their life despite apparent lack of both intelligence and social skills.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Fetch the popcorn Justine, there's handbags a-comin'.
  • Stevo_666
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I still would.
    "Hearing a lot from guys who "still would" with Maria Sharapova. World Anti-Dickhead Agency really struggling to keep pace here"
    Nothing wrong with honesty. I'm sure you have a good reason why you wouldn't.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • VTech
    bompington wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I'm deeply saddened to hear that you feel that way. I have actually always admired you, as a shining example of someone who appears to have made a great success of their life despite apparent lack of both intelligence and social skills.

You know what they say, the cream rises to the top and you know that cream can be incredibly thick ;)
    Living MY dream.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I still would.

Sometimes it's better to keep it to yourself.

I'm sure the policeman told you the same after you were charged for indecent exposure.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I still would.

Didn't the guy from Maroon 5 reckon the performance didn't live up to the looks?

I still would though.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Just while we're on the subject, asthma inhalers? Certain cyclists have TUE's for these, surely something that opens the airways will benefit/give an advantage over people who don't use them. I accept there will be degrees of asthma and some people are in dire need of them to live a normal life, but as a third of team sky riders suffered from exercise induced asthma as well as 70% of the british swimming team. Does anyone here suffer from exercise induced asthma to throw more light on the subject

I do. What would you like to know?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I still would.

Sometimes it's better to keep it to yourself.

I'm sure the policeman told you the same after you were charged for indecent exposure.
    Thanks for the advice Rick. I know you're not the official humour police in here any more but good to see you are still making an effort :wink: