Canyon Ultimate CF SL

MattW267
MattW267 Posts: 16
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Does anyone own a Canyon Ultimate CF SL?
There's a lot of press around delivery delays but is it worth the wait?
What about choosing a bike and frame size without riding it? Any tips?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I don't own one but I did ride one for 100 miles in Mallorca. Awesome bike, top of my list if I should have the money to get a new bike!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    MattW267 wrote:

Great bikes. Great value, possibly poor service.

Will it be better than bike X at the same price? Impossible to say.

Will it be a good bike? Yes.

And that's the thing. There are plenty of deals out there. Set a budget. Ride a load of bikes.

(Then get a Supersix)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Love mine. In terms of sizing I studied the geometry charts to compare to my other road bike, and went for a slightly more aggressive set up.
    Only you can decide whether you are willing to accept the wait or not. Mine took about 3 months back in 2014, at the time it was frustrating but once I had it all was forgiven.

At the time I was able to purchase mine via a bike to work scheme (I was part of a trial Canyon did of B2W- they decided afterwards they wouldn't offer it again), otherwise I would probably have gone for a Rose which I think offer better value, the ability to customise your order and apparently more reliability on delivery.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Had mine for 18 months or so, ordered from stock and it arrived in 11 days. Very nice bike to ride and no problems up to date.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    My Ultimate CF was awesome. It was very light, super stiff and responsive.
    Climbing was a dream and even on the roughest road it would be comfortable.

I had no problems when i ordered that bike back in 2013. Not the same this time around though so if you decide to order be prepared for a wait.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    2015 CF SL 9.0 owner, great bike, came ahead of schedule. You'll not be disappointed, don't they have free shipping on offer at the moment too?
  • MattW267
    Thanks everyone for your feedback so far, I'm more inclined to put up with the wait times now but need to get the frame size correct.
    Canyon's bike size guide says I'm a Medium but an experienced mate looked at my last fit measurements and said I'm between a Medium and a Large and to go for the Large as the Medium may be a stretch - how did any of you find the frame fit?
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    MattW267 wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your feedback so far, I'm more inclined to put up with the wait times now but need to get the frame size correct.
    Canyon's bike size guide says I'm a Medium but an experienced mate looked at my last fit measurements and said I'm between a Medium and a Large and to go for the Large as the Medium may be a stretch - how did any of you find the frame fit?

If you're between sizes, I'd go M rather than L. It's far easier to tweak a frame which is too small than it is one too large.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This is good advice, you may feel too stretched on the Large.
  • mattbell
    mattbell Posts: 203
    I've got one. I waited a few months for delivery last year. Great frame, great value. I'm 6'1" normally ride 58cm, I've got a large.

Look at the sponsored rider discount - basically if you have a GB cycling membership/ licence you get a good discount.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Herzog wrote:
    MattW267 wrote:

If you're between sizes, I'd go M rather than L. It's far easier to tweak a frame which is too small than it is one too large.

I was between medium and large, phoned Canyon up, the bloke I spoke with had pretty much the same measurements and told me to get large. Fits perfect. I'm 6ft and wear a 32" leg. :D
  • MattW267
    thanks mattbell, I'll check out the discount.
    I'm 5'11 so maybe Medium is more suitable but wear a 32" leg like Supermurph09 so maybe a large :D ..........if only there was somewhere to try them out in the UK :roll:
    back to the drawing board and plotting it all out on graph paper.........
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Love my CF SL.
    I ordered frame only in October 2014 and was quoted week 12 2015(5 months!!!) it arrived bang on time!
    Compared to my Planet-X RT-58 it's like night and day.A far,far better ride.
    I'm generally a 52cm and Canyons sizing recommended 51cm.I went for the nearest measurements to the RT which was a 53cm.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    MattW267 wrote:
    I'm 5'11 so maybe Medium is more suitable but wear a 32" leg like Supermurph09 so maybe a large :D ..........if only there was somewhere to try them out in the UK :roll:

Where are you? There's bound to be someone nearby that owns one...
  • MattW267
    Vortice wrote:
    MattW267 wrote:

Where are you? There's bound to be someone nearby that owns one...

Bishop's Stortford, Herts
  • MattW267
    Spoke to the people at Canyon - they recommended a Medium and pointed out I have 30 days to try it out or exchange it - good enough for me - order placed!
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    MattW267 wrote:
    Spoke to the people at Canyon - they recommended a Medium and pointed out I have 30 days to try it out or exchange it - good enough for me - order placed!

Could I ask- when are you expecting delivery? Got my eye on one of these.
    is it the 7.0,8.0 or 9.0?
  • MattW267
    9.0 Di2
    delivery is due 23rd-28th May.......cannot come soon enough!
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    MattW267 wrote:
    9.0 Di2
    delivery is due 23rd-28th May.......cannot come soon enough!

Nice!
    keep us posted.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    MattW267 wrote:
    9.0 Di2
    delivery is due 23rd-28th May.......

Don't count on it!
  • TomasP.
    TomasP. Posts: 2
    MattW267 wrote:

Ordered "Ultimate CF SL 9.0 SL" (used Canyon PPS: size S, inseam length 81cm) on the 9th of March 2016, prov.shipping date was 28/3 to 01/04/2016. The bike was sent from Germany on the 22nd and delivered to Slovenia on the 24th of March 2016. Hats off to Canyon!

https://goo.gl/photos/MNGUwVMqTEinU6st5
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    TomasP. wrote:
    MattW267 wrote:

Ordered "Ultimate CF SL 9.0 SL" (used Canyon PPS: size S, inseam length 81cm) on the 9th of March 2016, prov.shipping date was 28/3 to 01/04/2016. The bike was sent from Germany on the 22nd and delivered to Slovenia on the 24th of March 2016. Hats off to Canyon!

https://goo.gl/photos/MNGUwVMqTEinU6st5

What's it like working for Canyon Bikes Tomas, you get discount on your new bike? :wink:
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • TomasP.
    TomasP. Posts: 2
    What's it like working for Canyon Bikes Tomas, you get discount on your new bike? :wink:

I check who's my employer and noted that I still work for my current employer (obviously not Canyon).

Went back to check the invoice I got from Canyon and my credit card information for March 2016 ... double and triple checked it to find the alleged discount ... was eager to find it :shock: ... then I realized I (unfortunately) paid the full price.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    OP, I assume you have also been keeping tabs on this:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13061894
  • MattW267
    Very pleased to announce that the bike arrived last week on the 13th May 10 days early!!!!!!!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    MattW267 wrote:
    Very pleased to announce that the bike arrived last week on the 13th May 10 days early!!!!!!!

Early signs Canyon have sorted out their distribution issues? :shock:
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • MattW267
    JesseD wrote:
    MattW267 wrote:

Early signs Canyon have sorted out their distribution issues? :shock:

Definitely - I spoke to Canyon before ordering and they were very upfront about what had gone on and reassured me that they were now on top of things......got the feeling that the delivery date of 23rd-28th May was set to manage expectations as they didn't want to let anyone down again
  • CrazyHorseB
    CrazyHorseB Posts: 12
    I'm just over 6'0" with 33" inside leg and ride a large Canyon ultimate CF SL 9.0 ... and love it. I ordered mine over winter so the 3 month wait wasn't that painful. Well worth the wait, I'm still very happy with it after 2 years.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    FWIW a club mate of mine just look delivery of his Canyon Endurace last weekend, delivered on time.

He promptly stacked it on his second ride out and severely bruised his ribs so won't be riding it for a while!