Kysrium Elite WTS vs Giant SLR1 wheelset

r_hind
r_hind Posts: 6
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I've changed the subject of this post - mainly because the opinions I'm getting are focusing on aspects other than the wheelsets. It is opinions on the wheelset that I'm after.

Background.

I recently was knocked off my bike and as a result my insurance company are covering me for a replacement bike to equivalent spec.

Basically the equivalent bike is a Giant TCR Advanced 1 with Mavic Kysrium elite WTS (swapped to match spec of previous bike) but I do have the option of going for the Giant TCR Advance Pro 1 with the standard Giant SLR 1 composite wheelset. Either way I'll have the chain rings swapped out for 39/53.

As I understand the two frames are identical with the exception that the Pro 1 has a carbon steerer and can take RideSense. So the price difference between the bikes seems to be due to the ("superior"?) Giant Wheelset.

My last 3 wheelsets have all been Mavic Kysrium Elite and I've been happy with them.

A friend reckons I can't go wrong with the lesser TCR Advanced 1 with Mavic Kysriums - that the Mavics are "bullet proof" and he would go for that combination.

I'm undecided. I do like the look of the Pro and I have read some good reviews on it and the Giant Wheelset and I like the fact that the frame is RideSense ready (although I would have thought the Advanced 1 would be too).... but if the main real difference is the wheels and the wheels aren't as good as the Mavic then it seems it would make sense to stay with the Advanced rather that the Advanced Pro.

I don't ride in the rain (if I can help it) and I don't do any racing.

The advice I'm looking for relates to the two different wheelsets only.

What is your advice?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    The Advance Pro 1 uses OverDrive 2 headset and full carbon fork as well as a 36/52 crankset. The Advance 1 uses OverDrive headset and a compact 34/50 crankset. Don't they both come with Giants own brand wheels? Is the dealer swopping the Giant wheels to the Mavics at the time of purchase?

Can't comment on the SLR1 wheels as I have not used them, if you prefer the Mavic wheels and you want to stay with them, the choice of bike is made for you. If you look at the Giant Germany website, the spec says the Advance frame is ride sense ready.
  • r_hind
    Hi DJ58.
    Yes the Advanced 1 as standard does come with Giant's own brand wheels but I've been quoted for the addition of Mavic Kysrium Elite WTS (to match the bike that was written off). I'm also swapping the crankset to 39/53 (again to match my previous bike).

I'm pleased (based on your reply) that either bike will accommodate RideSense.

I'm really hoping I can also get the opinion of someone who is using the Giant SLR 1 wheelset and has had experience with the Mavics.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I don't know a lot about the wheels, but I can add that the TCR Advanced models all have Carbon steerers, they're just of a somewhat smaller diameter (which is arguably a good thing for stem compatibility) than the pro model. They can also accomodate Ridesense, although to be quite honest I'd put the new Garmin sensors (which don't require magnets) ahead of the ridesense setup anyway.

Honestly, they're both good bikes, I'd go for the one which you prefer the look of as there's very little to choose between them otherwise....
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Depending on your size you may not have a choice. Some sizes of the Adv Pro 1's have sold out for the year.
  • r_hind
    Yes. I agree they're both good looking bikes and availability of my size is not an issue for me where I live.

The opinions I'm looking for relate to comparison of the wheelsets in my instance. Does anyone have experience of the Giant SLR 1 composite wheelset versus the Mavic Kysrium Elite WTS?
  • r_hind
    I've changed the subject of this post - mainly because the opinions I'm getting are focusing on aspects other than the wheelsets. It is opinions on the wheelset that I'm after.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i recently had an adv pro on test with the carbon slr 1 wheels and they were excellent, dt swiss hubs and carbon rims, great braking too, only downside is internal spoke nipples, but in 3 days of riding and 250miles, they stayed, as you expect, true.

they are light and very stiff wheels and imho much better than the Mavics you are comparing them too, a better comparison would be with cosmic carbon 40s

the adv pro 1 is also very light, a M is under 7kg