Full Face Helmet Advice with Glasses

malc101
malc101 Posts: 115
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I can not wear contact lenses and need to ride with my glasses on to see. I am looking to protect my face with a full face and can't get near to squeezing the glasses into a traditional full face, well the TLD D3 my mate has and the Bluegrass I tried on my LBS.

So i am aware of the Met Parachute, which my LBS is ordering in for me to try. I am also aware of the Bell 2R but not keen. Happy to hear stories about both but mostly keen to see if anybody else rides full face plus glasses.

I am also aware it is not the done thing but needs must on this one i am afraid.

Cheers in advance Mal
MTB - 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1
Road - 2005 Lemond Maillot Jaune with 2013 105 and 2014 Fulcrum 5's
Winter Hack - 2005 Marin Rocky Ridge with 1x9 and Rigid Conversion (On Going)

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Loads of people use glasses with full face helmets. I know a couple who wear Fox Rampage helmets.
    After seeing the chin bar smashed off a Bell 2R I would even consider one.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I wear glasses most of the time and it works for me, depending on the helmet i just take them off, put the helmet on, and then put the glasses back on.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    This is why I am so glad I can get away with contact lenses... But anyway that doesn't help your situation...

I haven't tried a Full Face myself but would prescription goggles be an option or would it simply be too much??

A friend wears his glasses with his Giro Remedy and it seems a comfortable fit from what he says, obviously your mileage may vary...

I guess it's hard to really say as it will all depend on the shape of your head vs the positioning of the padding in the helmet as to if its going to impact your ability to wear (or not wear as it seems) your glasses.

P.S. Rockmonkey, when the chin bar smashed on the Bell Super 2R did it protect the rider from a broken face? As I was seriously considering one of these and this is the first time I've heard anyone mention the chin bar smashing :(
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It didn't protect him from a broken jaw. From what I heard about the accident it wasn't particularly high speed or spectacular. The lad who was injured didn't buy another one.
    I've gone face first in to a tree at very high speed in a Fox Rampage before, it wrecked it but there was enough left to save me from serious injury.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    got both a 661 comp/771 FF face and a met parachute. My glasses don't pose any issue with them. downside is that they can cut you when you crash.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I often use my FF with sunglasses, may be worth investing in a pair of glasses with closer fitting arms to minimise any interference or discomfort. If you fancy some extra coverage say when its a lovely British summers day with rain maybe some sleet see about a pair of OTG goggles. Used that combo for a couple of years till I got contacts.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    This is why I am so glad I can get away with contact lenses...

Contacts are a godsend. For those that say they can't wear them, you might not have found the right ones. I had terrible trouble with them until I tried Acuvue Moist daily disposables. If you haven't tried them, have a go, they're life changing when to comes to riding.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • malc101
    malc101 Posts: 115
    Hi all. Thanks for the replies.

My parachute is in and I will try Friday.

I will try to get to a couple of shops before to try on what they have.

I have a rare ish disease where my cornea has thinned and then forms a cone shape. Can only wear custom made gas permeable lenses. They were not nice so opted to stick to glasses as it works well and to be honest except for swimming this is the first time in 15 years it has caught me out.
    MTB - 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1
    Road - 2005 Lemond Maillot Jaune with 2013 105 and 2014 Fulcrum 5's
    Winter Hack - 2005 Marin Rocky Ridge with 1x9 and Rigid Conversion (On Going)
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    malc101 wrote:
    I have a rare ish disease where my cornea has thinned and then forms a cone shape. Can only wear custom made gas permeable lenses. They were not nice so opted to stick to glasses as it works well and to be honest except for swimming this is the first time in 15 years it has caught me out.

Ah, that's a shame. I crash a lot so I know that, sooner or later, my expensive glasses are going end up in pieces so contacts are pretty much part of my riding kit now.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607