Cycle Touring in Cuba

DAVIDFG63
DAVIDFG63 Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in Tour & expedition
Hi!
Can anyone offer any advice?
My wife and I are keen cycle tourers and plan visiting Cuba in late October 16 and we are after advice around cycle touring companies in Cuba...Thanks David

Comments

• cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    DAVIDFG63 wrote:
    Hi!
    Can anyone offer any advice?
    My wife and I are keen cycle tourers and plan visiting Cuba in late October 16 and we are after advice around cycle touring companies in Cuba...Thanks David

Was out there last Nov/Dec. Can't help with any touring companies but can confirm the cycling there looks absolutely epic. We just rented bikes a couple of times from Trinidad and Vinales (both times our bikes fell to pieces and needed a taxi home, which is par for the course in Cuba) but did see some touring groups out there.

I think the stat is that they have as much road traffic as Britain in the 1930s or something, and the roads are smooth and the scenery spectacular.
  • Hi David - did this a few years ago and it was an absolutely brilliant way to see the island.

We went with Exodus, who were very good. Excellent guide (Laz) and support crew - seem to remember it was 40-60km cycling a day which was broken up really well with lunch stops / places of interest, then a day or two in the big towns.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Try Explore.Used them for Poland and Morrocco..Age 40+ on mine.Best with a partner to avoid single supplements/share.Also reduce any risk you may not gel with the group which is the risk you take if you go alone..Leaders themselves are perfect usually...
    Explore have different ones for Cuba but know your fitness level..Their 15 day Back road option looks exciting and more "real Cuba" then the coastal options.but this needs a certain level of fitness with more daily mikes and hill climbing ability than other rides.which are classed easy

Expensive but if its your once a year holiday..go for it quick before the amercians modernise everything..they are coming. Can be cheaper to book your own flight and book land only..Not sure if typhoon season affects Cuba but best to just have a quick check if its well out of the way..
    jc
  • Many thanks for your comments
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I know that Exodus run tours out there. I wouldn't hesitate to use them, I had a fabulous trip around Morocco with them a few years ago.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    See if you can find a copy of "The Handsomest Man In Cuba", by Lynette Chiang. An excellently written and perceptive account of travelling through Cuba, mostly by bicycle.