Can I Change my boys bike 7 speed to 9 or 10?

stantheman206
stantheman206 Posts: 106
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m8b65s10p5 ... -inch-2014

Thinking about getting this 24" bike for my lad and after anyone's thoughts or better alternatives. He loves the trails and I like the fact this has a single speed and light v brakes. I was wondering if I'm able to change it to a 9 speed easily and change the grippy shift things to rapid fire. Not looking at anything special deore or slx which I can see would be fairly cheap if it's just the cassette, rear mech, shifters and chain that I needs o swap.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the lists it as 6spd so it will be a spin on freewheel so no.

if it actually has a freehub and cassette the it could be done.

rear wheel inspection needed and the hub width checked.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok, listing definitely states 7 speed but also its a freewheel that I assume is threaded onto the wheel? I was aiming to get a bigger spread of gears by going to the 9 speed to help compensate for the lack of the 3 chainrings up front which are found on other 24" wheel boys bikes.
    Reducing weight is key as most boys bikes are ridiculously heavy! Maybe stick with changing the shifter and hunt some light weight tyres, tubes and finishing kit? Unless there are any other bikes at a similar price I've missed? He rode a carrera blast 24 last week which although was ok it came with heavy cable discs and 21 geras that I don't are really necessary!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depending how big your son is I'd consider something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Fire-Mou ... 2154294013

If you can find a 14 inch frame it might be ideal. Light and upgradeable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • He's 10 years old, 4"8. I'm just a bit reluctant to go for a 26" wheeled bike just yet, will bare it in mind though
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    need to change wheels on a blast too if you want 8,9, 10 or 11 speed. saddly most kids bikes are heavy or you have to pay through the nose to get a light one.