Tight lycra style overshoes, but water proof, not Velotoze.

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
After a fast, tight, lightweight over shoe but not Velotoze, which though ubiquitous with most, I found them a complete ball ache to get on and they only last about a fortnight, though I appreciate the idea is sound. So, anyone recommend a tight almost fitting like lycra, but weather shielded over shoe to assist the commute given that the rain is not letting up here.

Thanks in advance.

Pete.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Rapha Pro Team are very good, but a bit expensive to use for commuting maybe.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    For commuting, bite the bullet and get a set of winter boots. Overshoes are great if you'rel riding for a long time once or twice a week, but if you're riding for a shorter time 5 times a week with lots of clipping in and out and a walk to the office at the end, they will get destroyed in no time.
    I bought a set of Northwaves last year as I was fed up with getting through 2 to 3 sets per winter. Even if you get cheapo Planet X or Decathlon ones at a tenner a pop, you can do the maths and see that a £100 set of winter boots will pay for themselves in a few years. Plus being way less hassle.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    ^ this should just be the stock answer to the 'what overshoes for general riding?' question!

I have never regretted buying proper winter boots.

Overshoes are pretty much all only going to last a short time, especially for commuting.

Winter boots should last you many years and are so much warmer and better. They are not perfect, there is still a place for water to get in (the hole with your leg in it), but so much better than overshoes, especially when combined with decent mudguards.

Took me a few years to buy into the hype, but so glad I did.
  • 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    Castelli Nano Shoecover, I love my pair...in Fluro yellow. tight, light, wind/waterproof but no insulation whatsoever...but since I ride in the far east, I never need insulation anyway.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I use GripGrab Race Aqua on wet days but water will get in anywhere it can so don't expect absolutely dry feet from any overshoes.
    Only paid about £22 for mine from Wiggle so at current price they are a bit steep.
    Nice gimpy rubber feel to them that make me think I'm Fabian !
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-raceaq ... 60635174uk
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    For a commute surely you want a sturdy answer rather than the flimsy lycra overshoes you requested ?

+1 for the winter boots - just less faffing round and built for the job.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    The problem with most overshoe/cycling shoe combination is that the seal between your shin and the overshoe isn't watertight, you will always get 'trickle-down'. If you then have a winter boot, most will have Gore-Tex linings, which although not letting water through, will also not let water out. I wore a pair of Northwave gore boots for the Tour De Yorkshire sportive last year, and after a while I could just feel the water sloshing around inside. It was a wet ride. A very bloody wet ride.

I do get cold feet really easily, so this winter I have been using the NW boots AND thick neoprene overshoes, which combined with Wooly Boolies keeps me just about okay. I still get water ingress from the top though - and this isn't helped by the fact that the leg warmers or bibtights direct the water directly into the shoe. I have tried stretching them over the top of the shoe, but this makes v little difference.

I can just about stand this for the 1 hour or so commute, but I have the Fred Whitton ride coming up, and do not want wet feet for about 7-8 hours, so I have bought some of the aforementioned Velotoze so that I can hopefully create a watertight barrier, which seems to me to be what the Velotoze do. Hopefully by May the rise in temperatures will mean I can get away with sleeker shoes and these (although the Woolie Boolies might have to be called into service!). If they are as much a pain to get on and off as people say, then even if I use them just the once they'll have been worth it. If there were an alternative to the Velotoze, something easier to get on and off, then I haven't seen them, so would also be interested to hear of a suitable alternative.
  • bristolpete
    All points noted. As far as I can see, a winter boot means a change of pedals and more money as are they not running double sided SPD style cleats rather than road cleats.

@ LAkesluddite - Good luck with the Velotoze. There is no doubting they work, but you'll burn a 1000 calories getting them on, induce a coma and want to throw them across the room - brilliant product otherwise. Oh and the second time you use them is even harder unless you cake them in talc.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    What pedals are you using? I recently got some with SPD fitting but saw plenty with the three block style fitting though, Northwave Fahrenheit for example.
  • bristolpete
    Step83 wrote:
    What pedals are you using? I recently got some with SPD fitting but saw plenty with the three block style fitting though, Northwave Fahrenheit for example.

Stock Ultegra. OK cool, I will have a look. Last time I thought about the complete shoe all I could find were MTB style. Thanks though.
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    I've been using Specialized Defroster boots with ultegra SPD-SL for the past couple of winters. Work well for me, and keep my toes warm.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Boots available with SPD or road cleats - many boots available with a model to suit either fitting.

I did read a tip that I havent tried out yet - cut the cuff off a pair of rubber gloves and put that over the top of the overshoes or boot to seal them around the ankle and stop water running in.
  • Forgive me for asking but re: velotoez - have you been putting them on in the 'recommended' way i.e. before shoes; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfwLAKsUBaw

You probably have been but if not then that would certainly explain why they've been so difficult to get on/off and also probably why they haven't lasted.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    apreading wrote:
    Boots available with SPD or road cleats - many boots available with a model to suit either fitting.

I did read a tip that I havent tried out yet - cut the cuff off a pair of rubber gloves and put that over the top of the overshoes or boot to seal them around the ankle and stop water running in.

I've just ordered some neoprene overboots - I'll be trying this little tip. Thanks AP
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I have gone down the sealskins socks route for winter riding rather than overshoes. The knee length ones. Water and hence also windproof. Do get damp inside in total downpours as water wets tights and then can seep into the socks but always warm. A thin merino wool sock inside them keeps the toes even more toasty.
  • zjohn
    zjohn Posts: 12
    Sealskins are good, but a bit pricey and on longer rides can lead to a fairly shrivelled foot...! My commute is about an hour, and having tried many options I've gone for the totally free one. This only applies in winter - if its raining in summer I don't really mind a wet sock, and I just take a 2nd pair for the ride home. And I stuff newspaper in the shoes through the day which dries them out a treat:

Put on a normal riding sock, then over that one of those bags that you get in supermarkets to put your apples in (remember to remove the apples). Then a 2nd sock, then leg warmers. Any dribble from the leg-warmers (Nanoflex) is then outside the plastic. Works for me. Basically though if you're riding in heavy rain/through puddles for an hour you're going to have to accept wet feet.