missing link reuse

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited March 2016 in Workshop
I'm completely new to connector, or missing link, links. I bought a new (2nd hand) bike recently which had one on its chain. And it's proved pretty useful; being able to take chain off to clean it. Chain has now worn out so am replacing it. Is it OK to just reuse the link? I'm guessing it is, but not indefinitely? How many times do you reuse such a link? Thanks.

Further, they're not that cheap, for what they are: £6.49 from Wiggle (KMC 10 speed). Is there cheaper but still OK ones out there? I suppose if it's OK to reuse many times that isn't so bad.

Comments

• PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Buy a new chain with a new missing link. You can reuse up to and including 10 speed KMC ones, but renew when renewing the chain. KMC do not recommend reusing 11 speed ones, but some people have with no problems.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but don't throw it away it can be useful in an emergency.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ben-----
    By reuse I meant carry the missing link over to a new second chain. Didn't occur to me that reuse, in this context, could mean just undoing and doing up again within one chain's life.

Found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=12975387

Does seem that 10 speed is more reusable than 11 speed. The link I have is one that comes undone very easily, no tool needed.

I've already got a new Ultegra 10 speed chain to replace the 105 10 speed chain on my bike. Judging from the thread I linked to I reckon it'll be OK to reuse the missing link on the new chain.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    A 10 speed can be re used, but is best to replace when you replace the chain (same wear). It makes assembling of a chain easier, just as cleaning the chain. In case of the 11 speed missing link KMC advices not to re use it, but I have been doing it (can't see why not) without issues.
    If you buy a KMC chain it comes with the missing link.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ben----- wrote:
    By reuse I meant carry the missing link over to a new second chain.
    not a good idea to use a worn part in a new chain. get new but keep as an emergency spare.

but as new chains come with new connectors there is no issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ben-----
    That's a bugger, OK I won't. I already have an Ultegra (no missing link) chain so I'll just have to not have an easy to undo link. Oh well. Thanks.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    KMC and SRAM chains are supplied with a new quick/missing link, Shimano aren't, however I read on BR last week that Shimano are going to start using a missing link, though not sure when they will be available. You can buy KMC missing links in packs of two, there is also the Wipperman Connex quick link.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Is a missing link the cycling equivalent to a sky hook ?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,642
    No.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Are you sure ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I made the mistake of reusing a 10 speed Missing Link on several replacement chains. (I was on a tight budget and buying whatever was cheapest at the time, and KMC never was...) Luckily it finally gave up the ghost when it was marinating in a jar of white spirit with the chain; the pin just parted company from the side plate :shock:

So now I either buy KMC chains, or if I find a bargain Shimano chain I'll use a new KMC link and as Nicklouse suggests, retire the old one to the saddle pack.

The only slight annoyance is that I also have a 9 speed bike, so have to ensure I carry both types of link (or go the whole hog and have separate seatpacks / tools etc on each bike...)
  • ben-----
    Right, OK thanks. I decided to cut my Shimano chain to use a missing link, have reused the old one, for now, but have also ordered some new KMC ones from eBay/China http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201372254351 and will use a new one soon as I get it. £1.89 for three pairs. A pair should be two, but I bet it isn't. I bet that's £1.89 for three missing links not six. Either way, cheap enough to not worry.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hmm. I think I'd be the opposite, and think cheap enough to worry. At that price and coming from Hong Kong they ain't going to be KMC links despite the photos and the description.

Do let us know what they are like and how reliable they are...
  • ben-----
    As I thought, "3 pairs" actually meant 3. Not a surprise.

> I think I'd be the opposite, and think cheap enough to worry.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Oh well…

> Do let us know what they are like and how reliable they are…

Will do. They look OK but that doesn't count for much.