Wiggle Stock Alert Issues

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
OK - am I correct to blame Wiggle in this instance?

Been looking for a Thomson Inline Seatpost (31.6 x 410mm) and over the past couple of weeks they have been out of stock at Wiggle so I set up a "stock alert" through the item listing page.

Opened my emails this morning to see an alert from Wiggle that the item was back in stock. Great!! Clicked on the link and arrived at the item page only to be informed that it was out of stock again and would I like to set up another stock alert!!

Their email to me was times at 1am this morning (Sunday) and I clicked the link to 9.30am to find they were out of stock.

All I can say is that they either had a significant number of customers just gagging to buy that seatpost or they only order things in very small quantities.

Could of course be a system glitch at their end but I think they must accept some blame since I don't normally sit up all night on the off chance that they will alert me to the single stock item that has just appeared in their inventory.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    It could have been one that somebody returned.

Merlin have them at 50 odd pounds
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    You do realise Wiggle sell to other countries and time zones? 1am for you is nicely middle of the day here, so an alert email would be well timed...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Garry H wrote:
    It could have been one that somebody returned.

Merlin have them at 50 odd pounds

Yeah have since searched elsewhere and spotted the Merlin listing. Guess their gain will be Wiggle's loss

You do realise Wiggle sell to other countries and time zones? 1am for you is nicely middle of the day here, so an alert email would be well timed...

Fair enough!

My parochial colonial heritage doesn't allow for customers beyond these shores LOL
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Had the same 'issue' a few weeks ago. The email arrived at 9:30am in the morning, I opened it at 10am and went straight to the website and it was out of stock again. So I emailed wiggle to ask and was told that there were only 2 of them in stock and they sold within minutes of being restocked. So your case could also be for a similar reason.
  • I set up a stock alert with Wiggle some time ago for a wheelset that was hard to get as it was popular.

Shortly after getting home from work one evening I happened to check their site and noted that they had 8 in stock so placed the order dropping stock to 7. About ten minutes later the stock alert came through so I checked again and stock was down to last one which went within seconds.

Popular items, or as mentioned above a single returned item, can and do go very quickly on occasion.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I set up a stock alert for their Cosine Disc wheels, which are out of stock. They emailed back a few weeks later saying that stock wasn't expected for quite a while, so they had removed my stock alert. Gee, thanks.