Mallorca - best transport option from airport with bike?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited March 2016 in Road general
Going to Mallorca for a few days later in the month. I'm taking my own bike and am looking for the cheapest and least hassle-free option for transport from Palma airport to Alcudia. Flight is scheduled to get in at 13.50 on a Sunday.

I've heard there's a bookable shuttlebus that will take bikes and is much cheaper than a taxi-van. Anyone had any experience of this?

Comments

• wide phil
    wide phil Posts: 51
    Im off to Mallorca on sunday , booked a car from do you spain 12 quid for 5 days !!!
  • neeb
    wide phil wrote:
    Im off to Mallorca on sunday , booked a car from do you spain 12 quid for 5 days !!!
    Hmm, a bit tempting that! I'd probably only use it for going back and forward to the airport though (I'm there for four nights, three full days cycling). Not sure if it would be more or less hassle to get a bus/taxi.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    It would be cheaper to rent a car and less hassle, in my opinion anyway. I rented a Ford Focus for a month there in January for 100 quid I think it was. Lol.

But saying that it is only 45 minutes drive so if you dont mind paying extra, a private taxi there and back saves you half hour sorting the car out at the airport I suppose. No chance I'd get a bus though, you will be on there for hours waiting for the others to be dropped off first.
  • neeb
    Thinking about renting a car now, but it's difficult to cost - they all seem to have some sort of scam going with fuel, either you have to pay to have it filled at the airport and then have £25 "service charge" deducted for doing that, or even if you collect and return it full (which doubles the rental cost), you have to produce a petrol station receipt to prove that the tank is full, or else be charged for the "deficit"! How does that work? Can't see how a petrol station receipt would prove that the tank was full unless it had been completely emptied first. Sounds like a scam to charge you an extra £50 or so!
  • AK_jnr
    Mine has always been pay for a tank and return empty. But I did a lot of miles so it was worth it for me.
    Just get a private taxi.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    To avoid the fuel scam (which isn't that bad actually - just use Goldcar's take FULL return FULL option) you can hire a Nissan Leaf electric car.

We did in Feb for 2 Euros a day. Recharging is free. I think there is a fast recharging station in the North somewhere, and there's one in Inca.

They ask you to return it full, but that's tricky so we returned ours 1/2 charged. No problem! It's actually quite a big car, and it's quite quick out of the lights, if you disengage ECO mode!
  • neeb
    To avoid the fuel scam (which isn't that bad actually - just use Goldcar's take FULL return FULL option) you can hire a Nissan Leaf electric car.

We did in Feb for 2 Euros a day. Recharging is free. I think there is a fast recharging station in the North somewhere, and there's one in Inca.

They ask you to return it full, but that's tricky so we returned ours 1/2 charged. No problem! It's actually quite a big car, and it's quite quick out of the lights, if you disengage ECO mode!
    Sounds fun - never driven an electric car, could be interesting to try.

It was Goldcar that had the T&C mentioning the petrol station receipt on the take full, return full option. I don't get that. But surely if the indicator is showing "full" they couldn't charge you for half a tank, receipt or no receipt?
  • bernithebiker
    neeb wrote:

Sounds fun - never driven an electric car, could be interesting to try.

It was Goldcar that had the T&C mentioning the petrol station receipt on the take full, return full option. I don't get that. But surely if the indicator is showing "full" they couldn't charge you for half a tank, receipt or no receipt?

I've rented many, many times with Goldcar and never had a problem - I just return it full, and that's fine. I sometimes take a photo of the dash showing it as full though.....

The Leaf was fun, but it's range isn't great - 120km on a good day, but you start to sweat when it's down to 50 or so...! And that's with no aircon, heating, nothing!
  • Where do you rent the electric car Bern? And can you fit a bike box in it?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bernithebiker
    Where do you rent the electric car Bern? And can you fit a bike box in it?

Was with Goldcar, but I think others do them too.

Didn't have my bike in it, but it's about Focus size, so don't see a problem.
  • tourdriving
    tourdriving Posts: 228
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    The book able transfers take up to an hour longer than a taxi but are a fraction of the cost, even after paying extra for the bike box. That's how I do it if I am not going in a group.
    I hired a car once for transfers and showing the island to my wife. Won't bother doing it again.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • If you hire a car check out rentalcars.com or travel supermarket. Personally I would stick with one of the bigger brands, I had a bad experience with Goldcar. Take out a private excess policy from moneymaxim.com and you will avoid all the extras they try and charge you when you pick up the keys.
    The taxi is not a bad option but probably pricey to Alcudia I would guess 50 euros one way. I had my bike in a big dakine bike bag and got a taxi outside no problem (30 euros to Palma)
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    When I went the hotel had a shuttlebus from the Airport. I can't remember how much it was but it was far cheaper than a taxi.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    You could ride it. It's only 37miles and all Sunday afternoon to do it.
  • neeb
    bigjim wrote:
    Not with the bike case and all of my other luggage.. :)
  • bigjim
    neeb wrote:
    bigjim wrote:
    Plastic bag for the bike. Other luggage? Thought you were only going for a few days? Personally I always rent a bike these days in Mallorca. The cost of flyng the bike and subsequent hassle means it is just not worth it IMO. I love the freedom of strolling in and out of airports with hand luggage only. :)
  • neeb
    bigjim wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    bigjim wrote:
    Plastic bag for the bike. Other luggage? Thought you were only going for a few days? Personally I always rent a bike these days in Mallorca. The cost of flyng the bike and subsequent hassle means it is just not worth it IMO. I love the freedom of strolling in and out of airports with hand luggage only. :)
    Yes, well, thinking about it I could manage the other luggage in a small rucksack but the best bike is not being subjected to the baggage handlers in a plastic bag.. ;-)

I thought about hiring vs. own bike and there were plusses and minuses both ways, but jet2 charge half of what ryanair charge and I'm fussy about my setup etc. Also want the powertap for pacing on the climbs..
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I wouldnt touch goldcar with a sh**ty stick knowing how they operate and what their staff incentives are...

One of our ride guides always brings his BC Pinarello in a clear plastic bag...

as far as rentals, do be aware if youre coming in April most of the bigger bike hire places (bikehead, Bruce, pollenca cycling, hurtzler,) have pretty limited availability for the higher quality rental bikes. Still some Pinarello f8s around from jolly old Bridget at Pinarello Experience if you want to pay 50€ a day...
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Interesting info here.

I thought I would need transport between the airport and PP in May and had decided renting a car would be the best option. I used a price comparison website (via www.moneysavingexpert.com if I remember correctly) and there were various options around fuel etc.
  • neeb
    S'pose it also gives the option of a different starting point for the ride on one of the days, e.g. chucking the bike in the back and driving over to Soller..
  • neeb
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Interesting info here.

I thought I would need transport between the airport and PP in May and had decided renting a car would be the best option. I used a price comparison website (via http://www.moneysavingexpert.com if I remember correctly) and there were various options around fuel etc.
    Thanks for that site, very useful! Booked a rental car for £32 for the 4 days and don't anticipate paying any other charges except fuel used.

What a hassle though to avoid being ripped off... Amazing that something that should be so simple has become so complicated. That's the choice we have these days in so many things - pay over the odds or invest time in avoiding doing so. Not always an easy choice..

Summary of most important things (doubtless common knowledge to people who hire cars regularly, but I don't..)

- Go for a "full to full" fuel policy and check that there are no associated hidden charges with that.

- Don't go for the excess protection insurance thingy offered by the rental company, but buy equivalent insurance from a 3rd party company for a tenner or so. This will protect you from having to pay £500 if you return the car with a tiny scratch.. Just like with the hire company websites there are metawebsites that let you search all of the websites offering these products.

- Check the T&Cs for any other charges.

- Check that the pick up location is actually at or near the airport and that it is open when you will be picking up and dropping off (times may differ at weekends and they will charge you a big fee out of hours).
  • bernithebiker
    Some good tips there, but watch out on the insurance. The hire company has no sway over your 3rd party, so will want to be covered up front. Therefore they 'pre-approve' up to 1200 Euros from your credit card.
    In our case, they consider our c/card a debit card, so the 1200 is actually debited and you get it back later. They don't take AMex either.
    I used to go through all that hassle, but these days, especially when you can get such cheap deals (like 2 Euros a day), I cough up for their insurance, then it's all easy at check in/out, you can return the car written off if you like, not your problem.....
    You really should try the electric car one day, it's fun!
  • neeb
    Some good tips there, but watch out on the insurance. The hire company has no sway over your 3rd party, so will want to be covered up front. Therefore they 'pre-approve' up to 1200 Euros from your credit card.
    In our case, they consider our c/card a debit card, so the 1200 is actually debited and you get it back later. They don't take AMex either.
    I used to go through all that hassle, but these days, especially when you can get such cheap deals (like 2 Euros a day), I cough up for their insurance, then it's all easy at check in/out, you can return the car written off if you like, not your problem.....
    You really should try the electric car one day, it's fun!
    Thanks for that - in my case I used a credit card not linked to my current account (Mastercard), not a debit card. I don't mind if they charge the card as long as I get it back when the car goes back... I guess the only hassle would be if there was a claim, then I suppose they would keep £500 odd until I'd claimed it back from the 3rd party insurer..
  • bigjim
    I also always check the car over for the slightest mark before I drive it away and insist those marks are entered on the pickup form with a signature. I also check that what should be in the boot is in there. Take pictures as well. I buy 3rd party insurance off the net in the UK. Last time I paid £5 for 4 days. Carhire wanted £40! Saying all that if travelling alone [which I will be next month] I just get the bus. Much less hassle to me. Plus, I quite like the bus.
  • AK_jnr
    The last car I had was practically brand new but every corner was bashed/scratched. It was the first time they had gone round the car with me as well.
    They preauthorised my credit card but they didnt take it to account my length of stay so after a week or so the pre authorisation ran out! Dunno what they would of done if they had found a ding after I had gone.
    I always take out the excess cover with a 3rd party back home.