Gear shifters

Anthony576
Anthony576 Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have a Giant Trance 27.5 4 which currently has Shimano Alivio/Deore 2x9 speed drivetrain, if I wanted to change the shifters to XT m8000 ones would it be possible or would I have to change everything else as well?

I'm looking at upgrading gears/brakes etc but I can't afford to do it all at once, so can I do the upgrade in stages or am I best waiting a few months until I have bought all the bits and then do it all in one?

Thanks

Anthony

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As the m8000 is 11spd you will need to change many things.

Unless you keep to 9spd you will be needing to change more parts. Exactly what depends on what you actually want to do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok thanks, think i am best saving up and buying whole groupset at once then can change everything over, wasn't sure if I could just upgrade as I go along each month but it's pretty obvious really if I have 9spd at moment and XT is 11spd I will need to change more
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    You mention xt, there is also 10spd xt too.

Do you really need 11spd?

You also mention brakes you can get these and replace now if you want
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    My son converted his Anthem X4 from Alivio/Deore 3x9 to SLX 2x10. With a bit of bargain hunting - sales and 2nd hand - he got everything he needed for about £75. That was for shifters, mechs, cassette and chain. The only thing he didn't change was the chainset, but that is next on his list.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • spr000
    spr000 Posts: 24
    9 speed shifters available here: http://www.acycles.co.uk/shimano-xt-9-s ... _wcB#descp

Don't know how that compares to current XT tech though as I'm sure they've been around for a while.
  • Thanks for the replies, I've ordered some new brakes as ones currently on feel really vague and I don't really trust them, but I think i will just stick with everything else for time being.

Cheers again :D