Carbon from the Far East

12COCO12
12COCO12 Posts: 2
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone my name is Brice and I am new to this forum.
I am currently building myself a new bike and would really appreciate if you guys that are more 'expert' than I could help me out.
This is kind of a 'weight weenie' build so I am kind of trying to shave weight off as much as I can. The frame is a supersix evo black inc that I got for cheap :lol: and the wheels are some reynolds 32.
I am currently looking for a handlebar and stem as well as for a seatpost. It is really hard to find some that are light and not too expensive.. I found this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/XXX-carb ... b2778b9707
copy of the bontrager xxx integrated bar/stem from the far east and wanted to get your opinion on the reliability and quality of these kinds of products if anyone has any experiences with them.
I also found this seatpost from 'Climax':
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130g-27-2x350mm ... SwxH1UK7xC
The great thing about these things is that they are incredibly light and cheap...
Any advices are welcomed! :mrgreen:
Thanks, Brice

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    There's probably a reason they are light and cheap
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    My advice - light and cheap may mean corners have been cut. Fine if all you're going to do is weigh your bike, but if you're actually going to ride it :

1. 2 pieces are more adjustable. versatile and cost effective
    2. Branded kit might be heavier or more expensive - but it's less likely to fail and kill you.

Whats more important - your scales or your skin ?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Stay well away from no name carbon contact points. Too many horror stories to take a risk.

I have a spare set of Ritchey Monocurves in 110/42 if you want something actually good.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Bottle cages, femto-esque LED blinkers, iffy jerseys, speed suits and garmin out-front mounts - all obvious far-Eastern wins from eBay for peanuts compared to branded equivalents.

Components which you put your body weight on and you depend on never failing? I'd stick with alu or trusted & respected carbon manufacturers who need to sign up to a European CE.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    keef66 wrote:
    There's probably a reason they are light and cheap

I wouldn't trust it at all, it's claimed weight is 50% lighter than a selle Italia Carbon monolink post....
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    By all means buy it, but make sure you have really good private healthcare insurance including dental care in place.

Seriously, it isn't worth the risk.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There are plenty of reputable Chinese sellers of unbranded parts, simply do your research. If you're buying what is obviously a knock-off of a branded product, then you probably get what you deserve.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Monty Dog wrote:
    There are plenty of reputable Chinese sellers of unbranded parts, simply do your research. If you're buying what is obviously a knock-off of a branded product, then you probably get what you deserve.

I agree.

I use plenty of chinese stuff on my bikes (as all of us, but in my case without the Western logo), and have to smile about some of the responses above. A lot of Chinese manufacturers take care of American, European and Japanese testing and show the results. Sometimes we forget that it are the chinese who work with carbon day-n and day-out and not the Americans, Germans and Italians....

Check the reviews of the sellers. You want to cut weight? Go for one of the many full carbon saddles: $ 20,00 and less than 100 gram. Best investment!