Grasmere is Open ride?

Guanajuato
Guanajuato Posts: 399
I'm thinking of organising (in the broadest sense of the word) a ride from Grasmere to the Kings Head at Thirlspot to take advantage of the A591 being closed. Its a short ride (~9 miles each way) and, by Lake District standards, pretty flat. Dunmail Raise is by far the easiest of the lake district passes. I'd be using the temporary road to get onto the road to the west of the reservoir, down to the dam and then back up the short bit of A591 to the pub at Thirlspot. It'd be ideal as a family ride with the road so quiet at the moment, although Dunmail might be a bit much for unaided little legs.

Grasmere is open, but very quiet at the moment. And The Kings Head at Thirlspot is rather isolated - the official road closure means that it looks like it can't be reached. The bit of road from the dam to the pub is fine. It might be a way of getting a few more people to the village.

I'm a bit unsure whether if I set something up, I'm thgen responsbile for everyone's safety, or whether I jsut set up a 'Ride Social' type thing and people come along if they want to, at their own risk? Any advice would be appreciated!

I haven't got into the real planning yet, just wondering if there might be any interest at all... ? :mrgreen:

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    On a related note, can you cycle from Grasmere to Keswick? I heard the road is open to pedestrians and bicycles
    left the forum March 2023
  • Guanajuato
    edited March 2016
    You can, although there is a suggestion that you have to walk on the temporary road that links the top of Dunmail Raise to the road round the west side. Apparently because its too thin for stagecoach drivers to work out how not to drive over cyclists. :-p

Only the road on the west side of the reservoir is usable: https://www.facebook.com/CumbriaCC/post ... 37?fref=nf
  • Guanajuato
    I did think Grasmere to Keswick initially, but then it wouldn't be particularly family friendly for coming back, as the climb out of Keswick is a bit nasty. And it makes the ride a fair bit longer.
  • ugo.santalucia
    My question is down to a plan B. I am down to do the Fred WC on the 8th of May, but in case of dreadful weather, the route skirts Keswick twice and it would be easy to call it a day and head back to Grasmere before Whinlatter or even before Honister if the weather turned very nasty early on
  • Guanajuato
    Weather turn nasty? In the Lake District? :-p

You can ride between kescik and grasmere, just not along the A591 alongside Thirlmere - you go on the single track road on the west of the reservoir instead https://goo.gl/maps/zCzTuLPZzsv

The main road is supposed to be open 'by May' but it was 'by Easter' a month ago. By then, there WILL be a new tarmac cycling & pedestrian link between the back road and the top of Dunmail Raise. The way its looking, that might be open very soon. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-35625340
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    My question is down to a plan B. I am down to do the Fred WC on the 8th of May, but in case of dreadful weather, the route skirts Keswick twice and it would be easy to call it a day and head back to Grasmere before Whinlatter or even before Honister if the weather turned very nasty early on

Sounds a bit lightweight to me :twisted:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Brakeless wrote:

Sounds like you are a bit of an idiot to me... I suppose you are one of those heroes that weeps on the day and then boasts what an epic day it was on a forum...

On the other hand, I am aware of my limits and prefer to draw a line... if after 3 hours I am drenched and cold, I won't do another 5 hours for the sake of proving some kind of point to the world... it's about being sensible and avoid troubles for yourself and others that might have to come to rescue you when you run into trouble
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    You can cycle up and down Dunmail and along the West side of Thirlmere but you have to walk the temporary section that is in place, maybe 250 metres long, that bypasses the work taking place to reinstate the damaged section of road.

A mate of mine witnessed a few cyclists give the security guy there a lot of shit the other day and carried on cycling through, not clever at all as they could just ban cyclists completely then...stupid idiots...
  • ugo.santalucia
    milleman wrote:
    You can cycle up and down Dunmail and along the West side of Thirlmere but you have to walk the temporary section that is in place, maybe 250 metres long, that bypasses the work taking place to reinstate the damaged section of road.

A mate of mine witnessed a few cyclists give the security guy there a lot of shoot the other day and carried on cycling through, not clever at all as they could just ban cyclists completely then...stupid idiots...

Hopefully they won't... unfortunately the world is full of "I know better" bods
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless wrote:

Sounds like you are a bit of an idiot to me... I suppose you are one of those heroes that weeps on the day and then boasts what an epic day it was on a forum...

On the other hand, I am aware of my limits and prefer to draw a line... if after 3 hours I am drenched and cold, I won't do another 5 hours for the sake of proving some kind of point to the world... it's about being sensible and avoid troubles for yourself and others that might have to come to rescue you when you run into trouble

That sounds even more lightweight. You need to lighten up, making assumptions about people who mildly take the pi$$ makes you look more of an idiot. Enjoy your ride, I've ridden it 4 times without ever refering to it as epic. For epic I'd give you the Pendle 600 or Mille Cymru both ridden without a single weep,although I came close on the Pendle 600 at 2am after riding for 20 hours.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Brakeless wrote:

That sounds even more lightweight. You need to lighten up, making assumptions about people who mildly take the pi$$ makes you look more of an idiot.

Beside the willy waving, I might have taken it agaist you for no good reason and I apologise, but frankly I'm done with this forum attitude that if you don't cycle at least 24 hours no stop in a snow blizzard you are a lightweight. Each one has his limitations and it's a very good thing to know where they are. If I am shivering half the way through an 8 hours ride, I give up, so what? It's just the sensible thing to do. I have little to zero admiration for folks who carry on and then have to mobilise the air ambulance and an army of rescuers to come and pick them up once they are in trouble.

Now, in the specific, if there is a forecast of heavy rain, I still want to start the Fred, as you never know how bad is going to be unless you are in it, but if it turns out to be beyond me because of that, then it's good to know there are two bail out options along the route. After that, looking at the map, I am committed to finish or to wait to be rescued. I am making it over-dramatic, but it wouldn't be uncommon to have people rescued during an event in the lakes because the weather turns nasty, I just don't want to be part of that crowd, that's all.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless wrote:

That sounds even more lightweight. You need to lighten up, making assumptions about people who mildly take the pi$$ makes you look more of an idiot.

Beside the willy waving, I might have taken it agaist you for no good reason and I apologise, but frankly I'm done with this forum attitude that if you don't cycle at least 24 hours no stop in a snow blizzard you are a lightweight. Each one has his limitations and it's a very good thing to know where they are. If I am shivering half the way through an 8 hours ride, I give up, so what? It's just the sensible thing to do. I have little to zero admiration for folks who carry on and then have to mobilise the air ambulance and an army of rescuers to come and pick them up once they are in trouble.

Now, in the specific, if there is a forecast of heavy rain, I still want to start the Fred, as you never know how bad is going to be unless you are in it, but if it turns out to be beyond me because of that, then it's good to know there are two bail out options along the route. After that, looking at the map, I am committed to finish or to wait to be rescued. I am making it over-dramatic, but it wouldn't be uncommon to have people rescued during an event in the lakes because the weather turns nasty, I just don't want to be part of that crowd, that's all.

When you assume that someone 'is a hero who weeps on the day' then telling you and giving you a few facts that I have far more experience at riding distances than you can hardly be called 'willy waving'. You're going for a ride round the lakes with hundreds of others, admittedly a tough ride but with armwarmers, lightweight waterproof and possibly some spare long fingered gloves the only thing that should stop a fit and prepared rider with a well serviced bike would be a heavy snowfall (highly unlikley) or a very bad crash. If it's wet get your waterproof on before you're soaked and if you're remotely cold get it on before the long descents. Put a 28 on the back and have a great day.
  • Guanajuato
    Brakeless wrote:
    the only thing that should stop a fit and prepared rider with a well serviced bike would be a heavy snowfall (highly unlikley)

You don't know the lakes do you? :mrgreen:
  • Brakeless
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    the only thing that should stop a fit and prepared rider with a well serviced bike would be a heavy snowfall (highly unlikley)

Has the Fred Whitton ever been cancelled due to snow? :roll:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Brakeless wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

No, but the thread starts because the A 591 is closed to traffic, as it collapsed following heavy rain. Would it be so unimaginable to have enough rain to cause some severe disruption in the area and possibly endangering those on the road?
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

No, but the thread starts because the A 591 is closed to traffic, as it collapsed following heavy rain. Would it be so unimaginable to have enough rain to cause some severe disruption in the area and possibly endangering those on the road?

If the weather is like it was when the A591 collapsed then the event would be cancelled and no one would be in any danger! You really are making a big deal out of your ride aren't you. It's Cumbria not Helmand I think you might be OK :roll:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Brakeless wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

If the weather is like it was when the A591 collapsed then the event would be cancelled and no one would be in any danger! You really are making a big deal out of your ride aren't you. It's Cumbria not Helmand I think you might be OK :roll:

Organisers of events have been known for cocking it up. A winter sportive in the south on more than one occasion has allowed the event to happen knowing perfectly well that the lanes were covered in black ice and the Marmotte last year was described by a freind of mine who is a veteran of the event as "like being in a battlefield, with people collapsing left and right". Possibly the FWC organisers know better, but better safe than sorry, when I am concerned.
    Anyway, I asked a perfectly legitimate question and you chipped in with your macho attitude... you keep pedalling on your bike and I will pedal on mine... keep moving, there is nothing to see here
  • Brakeless
    You do like to insult people don't you Ugo. You like to portray yourself as the forum expert but just chuck insults around when you get found out to be a bit of a wally. You're doing a ride round the lakes in May but you're worrying about it months before hand and starting 'big' threads about it as well as working out bail out routes, hardly the attitude of an experienced expert like yourself. If my riding is classed as 'macho' that's fine by me although in my experience being macho doesn't get you round 1400km Audaxes. Being prepared, fit and able to handle a bit of suffering does.I'll await your next insult, you seem to be better at them than you are at riding a bike.
  • Guanajuato
    Play nice chaps. ;-)
    My comment was a little sarcy. I've known it snow in June more than once in Windermere. I have plenty of photos of snow lying well into May.
    The Met Office freely admit that their forecasts for the lake district are rough guides, as the effect of the mountains, warm damp air & unpredictable winds make for rather unpredictable conditions. It can be cracking the flags in Kendal, blowing a gale in Bowness and chucking it down in Keswick.
    I think Ugo is sensible to look at routes to bale out. Once past Keswick (and certainly Honister) there's not really the option. But for any cyclist who's entered, they must be pretty fit to even consider it. The last thing anyone wants is someone pushing themselves beyond the limit and losing it on the way down Hardknott or Wrynose.
    Ugo, for a less mental taster, consider the Lakeland Loop on April 24th.

The new cyclepath from the top of Dunmail is aimed to be open sometime in April, whilst the road is supposed to be open by Whit bank holiday.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Ugo, for a less mental taster, consider the Lakeland Loop on April 24th.

I am OK with 112 miles, with 3.5 K of climbing... I am even OK with impossible gradients and such. As I pointed out in the other thread, the big X is always the weather... it can make it easy, hard or impossible.

Last year's Etape du Dales with storm like winds was hard (and scary at times), as the organisers admitted themselves, but at least it was dry, so not impossible.
  • Guanajuato
    Thought as much Ugo, but suggested it as a training ride. What it has that The Fred doesn't is the 'little' bastard of Blea Tarn straight after Hardknott & Wrynose. Nowt too troubling on its own, but after those two its a bugger! Well, for those of us that are unfit.

Anyway, back to the original theme of the thread... :mrgreen:
    Skyride & the council are doing it. Easter Sunday https://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=74093 Best leave it to the pros to organise :mrgreen:
  • Guanajuato
    With half-decent weather forecast (fair weather biker!) and t'other half & children wanting to have a ride on the bus, I'm heading to Grasmere this Saturday to ride through to Keswick, have a few hours in Keswick & then back to Grasmere. I'll be aiming to leave shortly before the 10:50 bus(es). If anyone fancies joining me for the ride up to Keswick, feel free - just let me know.
    coming back is a bit more wooly, but will be centred around the buses.
    http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/floods2015/shuttlebus.asp
    http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/Cont ... 216142.pdf
  • Guanajuato
    If you want a relaxed, traffic free ride with fantastic views, this is definitely a route to do. In the 13 miles from Grasmere to Keswick, the shuttle bus past me on the climb out of grasmere, the bus coming the other way passed me on the narrow road to the west of the lake and then I didn't see another car until I dropped into Keswick. Similar on the way back, only I beat the bus back. A properly brilliant ride. :)
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Guanajuato wrote:
    If you want a relaxed, traffic free ride with fantastic views, this is definitely a route to do. In the 13 miles from Grasmere to Keswick, the shuttle bus past me on the climb out of grasmere, the bus coming the other way passed me on the narrow road to the west of the lake and then I didn't see another car until I dropped into Keswick. Similar on the way back, only I beat the bus back. A properly brilliant ride. :)

That's good to know G, what is the condition of that westerly road round Thirlmere? Is it properly paved or a bit of a state?
    I might have to give it a try over easter as I really need to up the training for the FW.
  • Guanajuato
    That's good to know G, what is the condition of that westerly road round Thirlmere? Is it properly paved or a bit of a state?
    I might have to give it a try over easter as I really need to up the training for the FW.
    Oops. Sorry. not been checking. The road is better than it usually is - the buses & works traffic seem to be doing a good jobs of sweeping the gravel & general detritus off the road. :mrgreen:
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Rode from from Ambleside to Keswick this weekend via Thirlmere (after Hardknott, Wrynose). The road is closed from the top of Dunmail Raise, which was deserted as soon as the road kicks up as there are signs at the bottom.

Security guard flagged me through, 200m later we were diverted on to a temporary road with a cyclist dismount sign although another security guard there just said cycle carefully. This winds down to the bridge at the top of Thirlmere.

Ride along the west side of Thirlmere is cracking. Had a wonderful, quiet ride and pretty level. Surface no different from the rest of Lakes roads and there is a lane in either direction so not that narrow. Only traffic was a bus which had a lead vehicle - both with hazard lights on. Wildlife was out as spotted a deer standing above the road.

A few cars once back on the main road and getting closer to Keswick.
  • Guanajuato
    dish_dash wrote:
    Security guard flagged me through, 200m later we were diverted on to a temporary road with a cyclist dismount sign although another security guard there just said cycle carefully.

Your experience mirrors mine. :D The security guards are being sensible - I was prepared to dismount but they said just head on. I suspect if you come flying down from the summit, they might be a bit less willing to say carry on. Basically, be sensible and treat it as a shared use path - there could be a great big earth mover coming the other way.
    There's one section of the temporary road where I'd not like to meet something coming the other way - there's a bit of barrier on one side and a brop on the other, but its only a bus wide. Best to get through at a reasonable pace, just not silly - there's likely to be gravel at the bottom of the hill where you need to turn left.

Looking forward to the new bike path opening that heads off to the west at the top of Dunmail