Arrgghh bought the wrong thing

Hoodride67
Hoodride67 Posts: 5
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a magura durin m120 for my project. Didn't realize that it was tapered when I need straight. So I bought a second hand set with straight steerer to change the crown over. When I got it the tube was too short. Miss measure on my part. (I know two rookie mistakes)
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a new crown for them from?
If not its sell or swap the pair and buy something else.

Comments

• Poitr
    Poitr Posts: 35
    Hoodride67 wrote:
    I bought a magura durin m120 for my project. Didn't realize that it was tapered when I need straight. So I bought a second hand set with straight steerer to change the crown over. When I got it the tube was too short. Miss measure on my part. (I know two rookie mistakes)
    Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a new crown for them from?
    If not its sell or swap the pair and buy something else.
    Are you sure you can't run a tapered fork in your frame? You can buy adapter headsets for some frames.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Poitr wrote:
    Are you sure you can't run a tapered fork in your frame? You can buy adapter headsets for some frames.

I did this, except I bought a tapered fork knowing I would need an external 1.5 bottom headset cup.

you able to tap out the lower cup on the headset an tell us the numbers on it? That or what frame the forks going into.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, lets not jump the gun.
    1/ What headset does the bike use? If its a 44mm headset (fairly common on many Merida bikes for a fair few years for example - like the last 12 years - for example) you may well be able to run tapered fork with just a new lower headset.
    2/ How much too short is the plain steerer, would a lower stack headset and stem eek out enough to make it suitable?

Nice fork, my Son has one on his Scott Genius RC20.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The short fork is 15 mm above headset and I have a tapper converter and its too big to fit
  • Then frame is from a silverfox bike. The bike was shit but the frame is rather light and the rest of the parts didnt do it justice. Like the zoom forks ;-)
  • The Rookie
    Pic of the headtube wou,d help.

The only thing I'd call a tapered converter is for running plain forks in a tapered headset, so again, what exactly did you get?

15mm would be tuff, but if it's a very large stack headset it may be just about possible, again a pic would help.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • IMG_20160304_155207.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That's a really long head tube on that frame.
    Your fork isn't going to work in that frame, the steerer is far too short.
  • The Rookie
    Personally I'd get a better and more modern geometry frame and use one of the forks, the Carrera hardtail frames are fairly light (before the top tube to suite tube bridge version) and being 44mm headtube will take a tapered fork.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Google isn't showing up any silverfox bikes which have a half decent frame worth upgrading.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    That hydro formed tube looks like is is from the same mould as some Avanti dirt frames and also the on-one Growler.

But neither had such a head tube length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    The On One growler was terrible.
  • Poitr
    Poitr Posts: 35
    If that head tube has constant wall thickness could you use a BB facing tool or similar to shorten it by 10mm each end?
  • The Rookie
    You could get it faced, be cheaper to buy a nicer frame.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I cant see the photo being at work but google shows some frames all have quite long older style headtubes. As said youd be better off getting a newer frame that matches the travel for the fork. Not only will it be easier but the headtube should be a little more slack meaning it will handle better. Even a decent used frame will do the job.

Measure the length of the steerer on those forks an that should give you an idea how much you need. Dont forget to add enough to take a stem an a little more for the headset stack. Also means you may be able to get a frame that accepts a tapered headset if not you can use the external bottom cup as mentioned before.