Race View Cycles - any experience

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Been looking at sourcing some SRAM groupset bits and Race View Cycles has popped up on several searches with very reasonable prices

eg Pair of Rival 22 calipers for £42.66 plus £3.99 postage

https://www.raceviewcycles.com/sram-riv ... rrency=GBP

Looking at close to £60 a pair from CRC with free delivery.

Any experience out there of using Race View Cycles? Website suggests they could be a one man band as the address given is in the wilds of Co Antrim, N Ireland

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    oh is this shinybikes back from going bust?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    nicklouse wrote:
    Sounds like it. Do not use at all costs! :evil:
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    trek_dan wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

It looks like it is. Bunch of nobbers.
  • 604cefiro
    604cefiro Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

Just want to post my experience with Race View Cycles recently.

I placed an order with them early April (timeline of progress below), and received the package today May 4th 2016. The delay wasn't Race View Cycles fault, it was my local postal service Canada Customs had a massive delay for clearing items through our boarders.

At the end of the day, I received my 2 Vittoria Corsa G+ tires and some muc off hydro lube for a FANTASTIC price (versus our Canadian pricing for the same goods).

Overall, I am satisfied, but was very concerned when I first saw this thread.

John did communicate with me, but there were definitely delays with his responses via email. I left them a voicemail message but didn't receive a call back. On week 3 of the order, I emailed a few times but did not receive any responses. It was only when I messaged them on FB that I received a response promising that they would follow up with Royal Mail and give me an update thereafter, but again I did not hear back.

Would I order again? Possibly, I'm waiting for John/Race View to email me back after I gave them some feedback, so we'll see how they respond.

For now, definitely be cautious, make sure your creditcard company will give you a way to recoup costs if things go sideways. But like I said, at the end of the day I received my goods, packaged well, and received them at a great deal.

Note: I'm not a shill... You can find me on other forums under this name, and on instagram under 604.will

Order Date: April 6th 2016
    Order Processed/Shipped/Tracking Received: April 14th 2016
    - On April 12th I emailed John in regards to the order as I didn't receive any update from them about what the status was
    - Within a few hours he emailed back apologizing that they were moving locations and that they didn't send it out yet, but would do so immediately
    - Provided tracking number 2 days later on April 16th
    Order Received: May 4th 2016
    - Order took much longer than expected to arrive
    - The package actually arrived here in Canada on April 19th, but Canada Customs had a massive delay in clearing packages (agent said 45 days)
    - This delay was NOT Race View Cycles fault, it was our local postal service

D89BCD7D-99FB-4791-A91A-FDA1451AAD27_zpswa5buiba.jpg
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    trek_dan wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

+1

have a search for threads on Shineybikes and a previous one on Raceview cycles, where the 'owner' made some bizarre threats of legal action (later deleted, but retained for posterity in other posts) for people pointing out the rather dubious timing, links and remnants of shiney bikes on the website itself.

A phrase involving contact using a narrow boat's stick comes to mind
  • trek_dan wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Yes this is the former Shiny Bikes who went bust and left a lot of people without money.

Now it looks like they are doing the same thing with Race View Cycles.

Their website is thrown together using a site generator, their other company Race View Equestrian is nearly an exact copy of it using the same generator. Their prices are inconsistent with their advertising and there have been so many people (including me!) who have been stung with ordering products that have never materialized!!!

The latest I heard is that they are about to go bust again and aren't sending out any orders they get.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!
  • If this thread is like one in "another place" we should be getting a boatload of first-posters from the US coming to tell us how wonderful the site is and RaceView themselves threatening any gainsayers with "legal action."
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    If this thread is like one in "another place" we should be getting a boatload of first-posters from the US coming to tell us how wonderful the site is and RaceView themselves threatening any gainsayers with "legal action."

A lot of the 1st time 'American' posters can be found on this thread on another board.

http://road.cc/content/forum/176025-any ... -co-antrim

Makes rather grim reading.

Now trading under...

Raceview Karting
    1 Woodside Road Industrial Estate
    Woodside Road
    BALLYMENA
    BT42 4QJ

They've no shame at all by the looks of it.
  • mattbell
    mattbell Posts: 203
    I thought I'd post some positive feedback about Race View Cycles having seen them slated on many forums. I thought it made sense to write my feedback on BikeRadar as I have a long standing account here.

So I was after some new Campag EPS Kit, Race View had the most competitive prices, so I emailed them voicing my concerns about the feedback, they replied promptly and tried to reassure me.

I decided the safest thing was to split my order and use a credit card for a bit of consumer safety. I then needed to modify my order via email. This was all carried out with ease, the EPS parts arrived promptly and well packaged.

Following the first successful order I then ordered the EPS Power Unit, this was also delivered rapidly and well packaged.

So overall I was pleased with the service. I must note that all the Campag Kit seemed to be posted straight from the distributor in London not the Race View address in Ireland.

Lets hope the good service continues!
  • Not worth the hassle buy from someone reputable