Silly 1x10 question ...

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Converted my 2x10 Deore set-up to 1x10 a year or so back, and am about to replace the chain-ring, cassette & chain as they are worn. I'd noticed before (but never did anything about it) that the NW chain-ring I'd fitted is not in line with the centre of the cassette, its in line with about the 7th cog on the cassette. This means that the chain-line when in the biggest cog at the back is at quite an angle. Does this matter, or would it be better if I moved the chain-ring inboard a little by using spacers between the chain-ring and the crank spider? TBH, it never presented a problem with shifting before, but wondered whether it puts too much lateral strain on the chain when in the biggest cog at the back?

Thanks

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Spacers cost next to nothing, so you might as well move it in. I don't think it would be necessary, but might help a little...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Ideally you'd convert from a 3x chainset (unless you wanted to pay out for a 1x specific chainset). This would give you a better chain line but like you say it's been working ok. the current setup means you're cross chaining a little in the lower gears which will put extra stress on the chain, maybe effect shifting performance a little but if you're happy enough with the way it's been working then why worry now?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    When I converted mine over the cross chaining was pretty bad until I bought these

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id-outer ... 55693.html

I was on 2x10 sram s1000 chainset and needed these to push the chain ring over. Works spot on now despite my initial reservations about it been noisy (I think the chain ring just needed using) and never dropped a chain since
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    kirby700 wrote:
    When I converted mine over the cross chaining was pretty bad until I bought these

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id-outer ... 55693.html

I saw those after I put up the post - probably worth getting a set. (I will also need new chainring bolts - do you know what length I will need?)
  • careca78
    careca78 Posts: 102
    I don't know what kind of BB is on your bike, but assuming something like an Hollowtech on a 68 or 73mm BB shell, you can also try to change the spacer from the drive side to the non-drive side. It's only about 2,5mm but it worked like a charm on my bike.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I was quite lucky as my chain set had a chain ring protector on it so binned it off and used the spacers.
    The simplicity of it really amazes me and wish we had this years ago!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Careca78 wrote:
    I don't know what kind of BB is on your bike, but assuming something like an Hollowtech on a 68 or 73mm BB shell, you can also try to change the spacer from the drive side to the non-drive side. It's only about 2,5mm but it worked like a charm on my bike.

I did this^ too. It's all I needed to go from 2 x 10 to 1 x 10. I'd been rather sceptical about the whole 1x thing until I put a 1 x 9 on my son's bike and tried it out, but I'm a convert now!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er