gazeds
gazeds Posts: 182
edited March 2016 in Road general
Gel's or Jelly Babie's.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited March 2016
    I'm not racing or training hard, so jelly babies for me every time. Taste better and a lot cheaper, and no sticky wrapper to deal with.

And no apostrophes with mine. :wink:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    In what context? Taste, VFM, effectiveness, personal preference, bang per buck/weight, environmental impact, etc??
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Down to personal preference.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Jelly babies every time, gels make me wretch.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    You can't get jelly babies with caffeine !
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Plus you can get Jelly Babies to go into your nasal passages if you are breathing really hard while eating one.
    Much more fun.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why 'or'?

Why ask?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    edited March 2016
    I will excuse the grammar and the unusual spelling of 'retch' in a response. I do not blame the teachers and I cannot blame Bill Gates, but somebody is at fault here.

Back to the question:

Jelly Babies have a noble history in sport nutrition. I first heard of them when Pinsent and Cracknell were allegedly left lying in a tent with a bucket of Jelly Babies between the two WRC pairs finals in 2001. They won them both.

But now I favour (as do my adult children) Soreen Malt Loaf, Fig Rolls and Bananas.

Jelly Babies can be a little too sweet after a couple of hours - and Gels just seem like the Vomit of Satan. It is my belief (and therefore right) that only a tiny, tiny percentage of top riders make any gain from using gels. For the rest, it is to do with fashion and image.

I can also make a case for tea cakes or scones spread with jam and soft cheese, but that is for the more discerning rider.

As to fluids, water is the thing. On a hot day or a long, hard ride, a little orange juice and salt in a bidon of water is helpful, but any other bottles should be pure tap water.

I have spoken. All other views are invalid and probably illegal. There is no need to thank me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2016
    Debeli wrote:
    I will excuse the grammar and the unusual spelling of 'retch' in a response.

:lol:

Maybe trying all the gels on the market fry's your brain.
  • milemuncher1
    Debeli wrote:
    I will excuse the grammar and the unusual spelling of 'retch' in a response. There is no need to thank me.

As far as the first bit goes, anyone who can only point to grammar in an post on an Internet forum, comes across as a sad sack, and their opinion from then on in should be viewed as worthless and really needs to be ignored. Retch / wretch, who really cares, you know what I meant. Hey, there's a question about whether folks prefer Jelly Babies, or gels, but let's try and appear clever, by saying something completely irrelevant about grammar :roll:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, wot he said ^^^
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Debeli wrote:
    I will excuse the grammar and the unusual spelling of 'retch' in a response. There is no need to thank me.

As far as the first bit goes, anyone who can only point to grammar in an post on an Internet forum, comes across as a sad sack, and their opinion from then on in should be viewed as worthless and really needs to be ignored. Retch / wretch, who really cares, you know what I meant. Hey, there's a question about whether folks prefer Jelly Babies, or gels, but let's try and appear clever, by saying something completely irrelevant about grammar :roll:

Especially if the grammar is just as poor if not worse than that criticised. As for the Jelly Babies I prefer the original name.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I tend to go with jelly babies, purely because I use a frame mount bag so you can put a pile in that an nibble on them as you ride, plus the carnal pleasure of ripping of the head of them.
    Dont get me wrong gels have a place I do prefer the slightly runny ones like the High5 ones. I tried a ZipVit blackcurrent an caffine one. I dont think they tried it before selling it though. Didnt taste of black current was thicker than wall paper paste and as sticky.

Usual ride tucker is jelly babies an bite size apricot flapjack bits. less faff than gels.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Step83 wrote:
    ....I use a frame mount bag....
    :shock:
  • milemuncher1
    Step83 wrote:
    I tend to go with jelly babies, purely because I use a frame mount bag so you can put a pile in that an nibble on them as you ride, plus the carnal pleasure of ripping of the head of them.
    Dont get me wrong gels have a place I do prefer the slightly runny ones like the High5 ones. I tried a ZipVit blackcurrent an caffine one. I dont think they tried it before selling it though. Didnt taste of black current was thicker than wall paper paste and as sticky.

Usual ride tucker is jelly babies an bite size apricot flapjack bits. less faff than gels.

And they taste better.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Only ever used a gel once.
    It came with some free goodies.
    Due to my inexperience the act of opening and consuming the thick chocolatey grunge resulted in my hands glued to the bar tape.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    gazeds wrote:
    Gel's or Jelly Babie's.

Embarrassingly-awful grammar. You don't need an apostrophe in order to pluralise a word.

Let the flaming commence.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Have tried gels a couple of times, gave me the sh*ts so never again. Granola squares are good. I like the idea of jelly babies though, will try that.
  • imposter2.0
    McStumpy wrote:
    I like the idea of jelly babies though, will try that.

Have a read up on the ingredients first....
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Imposter wrote:
    Embarrassingly-awful grammar. You don't need an apostrophe in order to pluralise a word.

You didn't need the hyphen, if you don't mind my saying so.

I hope that's helpful.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

I hope that's helpful.

Don't agree, sorry. It's entirely appropriate to use one in that context, in order to make a compound word, or when combining two words as a single adjective.
  • briantrumpet
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I hope that's helpful.

Don't agree, sorry. It's entirely appropriate to use one in that context, in order to make a compound word, or when combining two words as a single adjective.
    OK, let's try some parallels:

Very awful grammar, or very-awful grammar? Terribly awful grammar, or terribly-awful grammar? I'd argue that the concept is "awful grammar" and the "embarrassingly" is an intensifier to that concept. The hyphen as used in a phrase such as "well-endowed stallion" is there as the concept is 'well-endowed', as an "endowed stallion" is not a meaningful concept.

Anyway, after all that, I didn't say your hyphen was wrong - just that you didn't need it. ;)
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    I use gels, simply because they're so easy - once you learn to open them and roll up the wrapper without getting sticky fingers. I also won't use a gel for the sake of it, whereas if I have jelly babies (or any other sweets), I'll be constantly having 'one more' even if I planned to eat x amount every half hour. A club mate of mine got through an entire bag halfway into a 200k Audax last year, so he bought another bag at the control and had finished that bag too by the time we got to the finish.

As for the comment about only a small percentage of top pros getting any benefit from gels, what a load of c**p! They contain carbs, which is what 'real food' contains to refuel your body, and your body isn't going to reject them and say "nope, can't use those carbs mate, you're not a World Tour rider".

Apologies if my grammar isn't perfect :wink:
  • imposter2.0
    OK, let's try some parallels:

Very awful grammar, or very-awful grammar? Terribly awful grammar, or terribly-awful grammar? I'd argue that the concept is "awful grammar" and the "embarrassingly" is an intensifier to that concept. The hyphen as used in a phrase such as "well-endowed stallion" is there as the concept is 'well-endowed', as an "endowed stallion" is not a meaningful concept.

Anyway, after all that, I didn't say your hyphen was wrong - just that you didn't need it. ;)

Nope - still not really with you on that. Tell you what, you stick to playing trumpet and leave the English stuff to me... ;)
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    If you can taste a gel your not cycling hard enough.
    If you can chew a jelly baby your not cycling hard enough.
    If you can spell correctly your not cycling hard enough.
  • imposter2.0
    john1967 wrote:
    If you can taste a gel your not cycling hard enough.
    If you can chew a jelly baby your not cycling hard enough.
    If you can spell correctly your not cycling hard enough.

Were you cycling hard when you wrote that?
  • briantrumpet
    Imposter wrote:
    Nope - still not really with you on that. Tell you what, you stick to playing trumpet and leave the English stuff to me... ;)
    I know how to do bovine artificial insemination too, if that's ever any help.

BTW, you've got a googlewhack on "embarrassingly-awful grammar" - there are only two other results, and they both omit the hyphen. You're special.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    I know how to do bovine artificial insemination too, if that's ever any help.

BTW, you've got a googlewhack on "embarrassingly-awful grammar" - there are only two other results, and they both omit the hyphen. You're special.

Thanks. It's a lot of fuss over a hyphen, which isn't even out of place. Google is great for dispelling those moments of self-doubt that you sometimes get on internet forums. Worth checking that I had correctly remembered what my old Editor had taught me, as my memory is not always 100% reliable...
  • briantrumpet
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks. It's a lot of fuss over a hyphen, which isn't even out of place. Google is great for dispelling those moments of self-doubt that you sometimes get on internet forums. Worth checking that I had correctly remembered what my old Editor had taught me, as my memory is not always 100% reliable...
    It's a lot of fuss over an apostrophe (or two).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You might guess that I can be very particular about these things too (they do matter, even a little hyphen), but I'm learning to let it go, sometimes, even if it does hurt. And of course your old editor might have either held a contentious view on that, or for that view to have been superseded. I do happen to like hyphens for how they can add clarity (I ought to get out more, I know), but not in this case.

Anyway, leg strength, wasn't it...?
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I've still got a load of gels that I got free from sis, I've only had a couple, they weren't too cracking. They did seem to work though.