Is it worth it to switch from SPD to SPD-SL?

2»

Comments

• meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    keef66 wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    So is there a broad (ish) consensus that the main real advantage to SPD-SLs is zero float, and SPDs are just as good if I already have the pedals?

And stiff soled shoes...

And don't mind looking like a mountain biker...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    So is there a broad (ish) consensus that the main real advantage to SPD-SLs is zero float, and SPDs are just as good if I already have the pedals?

And stiff soled shoes...

And stiff soled touring shoes??
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    keef66 wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

And stiff soled shoes...

There's one thing that gives that game away .... the bike isn't a mountain bike ...

really - are there people that bothered about how their shoes look?!

I know people who put out good times in TTs using SPDs ...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    ddraver wrote:
    I ve never seen the point in those, they seem to be the worst of both worlds...

I had some and they where, as SPD's they where single sided and where never the right way up, as Flats they again where never the right way up, and awful grip.

I'm comparing them to MTB DMR v8/v12 etc flats and double sided SPDs
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've got to say that I gave up on SPD-SLs as impractical shortly after getting back into road cycling as I like to be able to get off the bike and walk a short distance without either slipping or wrecking the shoes or cleats. I have got three different types of Shimano SPDs on my bikes: A540 Double Sided on an Allez, A600 Single Sided on a Synapse and A530 'combination' (ie flat on one side and SPD on the other) on a hybrid. They all work exactly as intended - being double sided, the 540s are very easy to clip in to but the A600s are equally so once you get used to them and, in that way, are really no different to any other type of single sided pedal from Shimano or anybody else. I confess that the SPD side of the A530s on my hybrid rarely get used as it is my 'going to the pub with the Mrs bike' but the flat sides work just fine for the shortish rides that I use the bike for and I reckon they would be OK for longer rides.

In summary, my personal view is that there is nought wrong with SPD and I would never go back to SPD-SL. Some will doubtless disagree but please don't tell me that I am wrong - there all just opinions.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    It depends. SPDs are absolutely fine for commuting, touring and general leisure cycling.

However for training/racing it's SPD-SL/Keo etc. Bigger range of shoes with stiff soles, bigger cleat contact area, wider choice of float on cleats and more secure.
    I once did a track training session in SPDs instead my usual 0deg float SPD-SLs. Never again.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I went from SPD to Speedplay. It was mainly down to there being a lot more choice in shoes. I have wide feet and bought some Sidi Mega shoes which have been so much more comfortable. For me, it was definitely worth it for that.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I commute/train and race with SPD but get whatever you want, I've tried SPD-SL and it's just a pain having several bikes and different systems. If none of your riding is frequent clip in/out, go for it.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Note SPD-SL does not necessarily mean zero float. With Shimano, the cleats come in three colours, each one offering a different margin of float.

I agree with some of the previous comments - my main driver would be to ask how much walking do you think you'll be doing. If any more than a few paces to the coffee shop or loo, I'd rule out SL's as they will wear out quickly. Otherwise I you should quickly get used to clipping into SL's.

Peter
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I've got time xpresso/mavic zxelliun on my nice CF bike and my winter cx bike. I like the float and comfort and I've got a lovely pair of northwave shoes too.

Having said that, I've just ordered a decent pair of spd shoes purely because I'm massively unfit and have a hilly sportive to ride in 4 weeks. I suspect I'll be walking up a few hills so spd are a no-brainer. I find 20% slopes a bit challenging to get up in massive great road cleats!
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    I had endless problems with numb feet with SPDs, likely caused by the sole bending (which is inefficient and unpleasant for other reasons too).

Soles that seem stiff in your hands bend like putty when your full leg strength goes into an SPD cleat the size of a postage stamp.

I may try SPDs again in the future, but only with an extremely stiff sole. No touring shoe I found was anywhere near stiff enough, though they might work for people whose feet aren’t sensitive to localised pressure. I think I’d have to go for a mountain bike race shoe, which are seriously ugly.

Meanwhile, I’ve returned to the old Look Delta system, which I used before. Delta cleats are huge, so they place less pressure on the sole and therefore the sole feels much stiffer even if it’s not. Additionally, three-bolt shoes often do have stiffer soles.

I had convinced myself the SPDs were as good as the Looks, but going back again there can be no doubt the Looks have a more certain feeling of engagement – you know for sure whether you’re clipped in or not – and less squirm. They just feel nicer to pedal with, though I suspect a very stiff, carbon-soled SPD shoe would have greatly improved my SPD experience.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983
    I had endless problems with numb feet with SPDs, likely caused by the sole bending (which is inefficient and unpleasant for other reasons too).
    ......... though I suspect a very stiff, carbon-soled SPD shoe would have greatly improved my SPD experience.
    zapatillas-mtb-sidi-drako-carbon-verdesblancas-2015.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Giraffoto wrote:

Just to clarify, I do like a bit of float, but not slop, by which I mean unwanted movement of the cleat e.g. back and forth or the shoe rocking side to side.