Converting Boxxers coil to air

jhinton2010
jhinton2010 Posts: 88
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Whats the likelihood of being able to swap my coil spring for an air spring without changing the stanchion? Its a 2015 Boxxer , only been used for a few months once a week or so. I know the official line is you have to change the stanchion but seems some people dont bother and it works fine. Just a bit of a gamble to drop £100 on an air spring and it not work. Are there many on here who have succesfully changed without changing stanchion?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For it to work properly the interior finish of the stanchion is improved for air spring forks as the seal has to run on that surface, the finish for a coil spring stanchion could well cause issues, I dare say some coils have been built with air stanchions when there have been shortages (as that is the safe way round). Check the finish and see if it's worth the gamble. If the seal fails it's only an O-ring cost to replace it then either sell on or get an air stanchion.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why change? The coil works better.
    I know of at least three SRAM sponsored riders using coil BoXXers modified to look like air to keep SRAM happy.
    It's more common to convert air to coil than coil to air.