Cyclist dies after apparently hitting pothole

Geo555
Geo555 Posts: 96
edited March 2016 in Road general
My thoughts are with the cyclists family.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- ... r-10975138

(Clicking on a link in the comments section will show you the pothole)

Shocking that at this time of year, councils are falling over themselves to spend their budgets installing new road humps, repainting white lines and spurging on iPads, whilst leaving roads in dangerous conditions.

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Unfortunately not an isolated incident:
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/11/cyclist-k ... x-5615039/
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Jeez. Nasty pothole and bars on the grid parallel to the road? Two accidents just waiting to happen.

I would argue that white lines and speed bumps are also important though.

My thoughts are with the family.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    RIP to the riders.
    My first commute of the year at the beginning of january saw me come off my bike on the way home in the dark.
    Its a route i rarely use and the it wasnt a pothole such, the road had sank by 3.5", for just over 18 METERS in length!
    It was like hitting a kerb, i thought id been hit by car from behind as two cars had just passed going the other way.

The claim to the council is ongoing and i came out of it with gravel rash, torn clothing and a broken bike. incidentally i drove home that way today as a road was closed, there is white paint along where the defect is so hopefully the council are going to repair it but the rest of that section of road is the same in places.

I was lucky, those other poor souls not so.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    R.I.P. both cyclists. :cry:

That first one is the prefect example of why you should never ride in the gutter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cneifion
    cneifion Posts: 53
    PBlakeney wrote:

That first one is the prefect example of why you should never ride in the gutter.

Agree you should never ride in the gutter but the problem is that the potholes (and sunken grids etc) are not just in the gutter.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    Cneifion wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Agree you should never ride in the gutter but the problem is that the potholes (and sunken grids etc) are not just in the gutter.
    True. But the fist example most definitely is.
    And drains will always be a hazard and quite often the origin of road faults.
    Plus, drains should not be placed in that orientation.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RIP to both. :(

Saw the photo on twitter before it was taken down (due to police enquiry?) from the OP fatality, pretty shocking repair, if you can call it that. Must admit I missed the orientation of the grid, I was fixated on that gap to the right on the grid more than anything else.

The state that roads are being left in was another factor in buying my Wazoo recently, because although those tyres are going to make any road journeys slower, I (perhaps naively) think I have a better chance of negotiating these obstacles alive. I recently did a small ride on my Felt and the amount of hazards I had to avoid due to poor road surfaces made the ride feel far more scary.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo