S works Venge framset.Go on tell me I'm daft!!

janwal
janwal Posts: 489
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Like a lot of people I've always liked the look of the SWorks Venge.No I'm not a racer or flat out fast rider.Ride with 5 other fit 60 year+ guys who just like cycling anywhere between 50-150 mile rides a few times a week.Around Huddersfield,hilly Pennines or out towards Vale of York for flatter runs.Could never justify the cost of buying a complete one but there are
Some good deals on framesets at the moment so would be transfering my Ultegra 10sp Di2 gear onto it from my Ridley Excalibur.A comfy all day bike.Venge is a stiff race bike. Strangely the head tubes on each are the same length but probably less fork length above it on the Venge to keep it lower.Or am I wrong on that?
Is it as all out stiff as many say though for all day riding? will I be killing myself using it for that?I know the Tarmac is supposed to be a better all round bike but does not quite do it for me looks wise.
If I want comfort I have a Trek Domane disc winter bike so not the end of the world.
So guys am I being daft old git who should know better or just go for it as I'll always regret not trying it!!
Lastly It's not strictly n+1 so no need to justify it to HWMBO,he said fingers crossed,fooling himself:-)

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you haven't already spotted it there is a frameset on offer in the classifieds

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13060998

It's a 56 so the size may not suit. However if it is the correct size then you will earn mega brownie points for your parsimony.

Looks quite tasty to me
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I know nothing about the S Works Venge other than it looks stunning but I do know I'd be very happy if I were doing several 50-150 mile rides a week at the age of 60+!!!
  • Richard66
    Richard66 Posts: 11
    +1 for what destev55 said.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I'm over sixty and was dithering about buying a fun car for myself, pure indulgence.

My wife put it into perspective, "If you want it, buy it. You'll be dead soon." So I did.

Stop fannying about, buy the Venge.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Agree with the above, if you want it and can afford it then buy it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    By all means buy it - but bear in mind, for the type of riding you are doing, you might hate it.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Don't Specialized have bikes you can test ride? If you want it buy it, but Imposter may well be right.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I had a S works venge and had the same concerns. With gel under the bar tape and a decent saddle I found it more comfortable than my Tarmac. I loved it and used it all the time.

A few years later I went onto a Giant Propel - not much difference at all except after about 60 miles I felt slightly less tired. Could be improvement in me, could be less vibrations (not perceptible to my bum at any instant) or could be a slightly better fit. Do not hesitate - go for it Venge or Propel.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    If you want it get it, worse case scenario that you don't get on with it you can always sell, Been through a similar scenario recently and bought an S3 and as above have said, you're a long time dead, get it and enjoy the spring /summer on it!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Test ride it and if you like it, buy it!
    Life is too short to dream.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    proto wrote:
    My wife put it into perspective, "If you want it, buy it. You'll be dead soon." So I did.
    I'd be careful around my wife if she said that to me. :shock:
    But then I'm only in my 40s.
    Sound advice though, buy it or you'll always wonder.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Oh well,daft or not, have gone and ordered it :-)
    Like a lot of you have said,life's too short to wonder what if!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    janwal wrote:
    Oh well,daft or not, have gone and ordered it :-)
    Like a lot of you have said,life's too short to wonder what if!

Nice one!
    Post some photos when you have it!
    Hope you enjoy it.