Re Chainset compatibility

smep
smep Posts: 339
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,
Perhaps another daft Q from me !!
I am running a conventional xtr chainset with an inner/outer ring and front mech.
Can I run this chainset with a single ring and larger ratio cassette thus doing away with the front changer/mech.
This seems to be the more recent way to do things !
The bike shop say that it would not look right ?
I would please welcome advice.
Thanks
Steve

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sure.

But depending what XTR crankset it is you may need a spider or other bits.

XTR has been around for years and many configurations.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • smep
    smep Posts: 339
    Thank you,
    It's an FC M980
    Steve
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That will take a 'normal' 104BCD chainwheel, lots of those available as single specific.

The single ring needs to be run in the middle position and some don't like the fact that you see the exposed spider where the outer ring would run, but you can add a bash guard if the aesthetics are an issue for you.

You'll either need shorter single specific chainring bolts or a metal bash to replace the thickness of the outer ring with your current length bolts.

By large range cassette you mean wide range by the way, that can be an expander ring or look at the Suntour MX3 wide range cassette which works out lighter than an XT plus expander and is reasonably priced at £57 on ebay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.