Cleaning / lubricating suspension forks or shocks

markfogel
markfogel Posts: 29
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

Just wondering whats a safe lube to use on suspension? I try to keep it clean but it just doesn't feel as plush as it used to be.

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what ever it says in the manual for the item you have.

but a clean damp cloth is a good start.

and then some suitable Non aerosol lubricant. that is compatible with the suspension damping fluid that is in the unit.

if the unit has lubrication rings then read the manual as to how to do it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Fork Oil, just wipe it on
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    JGTR wrote:

That will do nothing to make it work better. It will collect grit and dirt though.
    Download a manual from the manufacturers website. It will tell you which lubricants are needed, how to change them and which seals need replacing.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    JGTR wrote:

That will do nothing to make it work better. It will collect grit and dirt though.
    Download a manual from the manufacturers website. It will tell you which lubricants are needed, how to change them and which seals need replacing.

Says you, works great for me. I strip and rebuild my fork regularly, in between I clean the stantions properly BEFORE applying a light wipe of fork oil (as recommended by the manufacturer). Fork oil actually helps clean the stantion as it collects fine particles when the fork is cycled which I then remove.