Zipp 60 (or others)

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
A friend is looking for an aero wheelset on a budget of £750.

He wants aero, alu brake tracks, decent enough weight and stability in cross winds.

Will be using them 3 seasons in the UK, plus rolling fast roads in Spain one week a year, plus a week in the mountains once a year.

I have suggested Dura Ace C35s but he can't stretch beyond £750. I know Zipp 60s aren't the lightest wheels in the world but realistically the science says aero is much more important than weight (within reason) so I reckon he'll get the most return out of something like this.

Thoughts / alternatives much appreciated.

Can't find many reviews of the Zipp 60s online... odd?

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Swiss Side Hadron - they quite often do 20% discount which would bring them into budget.
    Lighter than Zipp, 23mm wide rim. Good reviews cite speed and stability as positives. You can also mix and match sizes so 48.5mm on the front and 62.5 on the back . Apparently they really Whoooooooosh too.
  • pedalbasher
    pedalbasher Posts: 215
    Thanks, they look good but EUR 1,268 on the SS website. Can you buy them elsewhere / cheaper?
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Flo?

http://www.flocycling.com/store/index.php

Might be pushing the budget slightly when you factor in import duty.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Thanks, they look good but EUR 1,268 on the SS website. Can you buy them elsewhere / cheaper?
    Not really - they sell direct, but as I said they do 20% discount quite often. Its just finished but check again at Easter maybe or follow them on Twitter to see any promotions
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you like the Dura Ace c35s then it might be worth considering the RS81 c35s as a much more cost effective option. The RS81 is basically the same wheel but with Ultegra level hub rather than DA. It adds a few grams but, performance wise, the Ultegra and DA hubs are pretty similar...the main difference (the odd bit of titanium aside) is the reputed longevity of the DA hub which is irrelevant as you will probably throw it away when the rim wears out.

Then again, Shimano wheels are beginning to look a bit old hat as they have still yet to embrace wider rims or U shaped profiles. I keep thinking that they will announce a new line up shortly...
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Planet X CT45 clincher?