Rotor size

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
So my Scott Spark that I picked up from fleabay is steadily coming together, I have had a few unforseen issues along the way including the Tektro Auriga brakes that it came with being totally screwed. I thought a break bleed with new pads would fix but the whole system is just knackered (corroded hose / rounded off bleed screw)

Anyway to get me up and running again I got a cheap set of Clarks Skeletal discs (160/160) - Seems a bit criminal to put a low cost heavy brakeset on a light FS but I just wanted to get out and ride and funds are tight at the mo - If a deal comes up for some decent XT or Formula brakes after next pay day I may give them a go.

I have had the new brakes on for a few days and to bed them in I thought I would do my commute on the bike for a few days as its relatively low speed, flat-ish and is cycle path the whole way. I have racked up 16 miles on the new brakes and have done lots of slowing / speeding up etc to bed in the brakes but they just don't seem to have the power I have had on other hydro brakes even from 5 years ago.

I still have the Tektro 180mm rotors and brackets to allow 180mm rotors etc so my question is would changing to 180/180 make a big difference in brake performance ? I am a fairly heavy bloke and with my rucksack on I probably come in around 88kg.

If its much of a muchness then I won't bother (wheels are already pretty heavy as it is !).

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Those Skeletal brakes aren't the best anyway, but the rotor size probably isn't helping. 180mm on at least the front is fairly ubiquitous for any proper off-road riding (that would necessitate a full-susser, anyway). Bigger guys often go for 180 front and rear, or even 180mm rear, 203mm front.

In terms of how much difference it actually makes; all other things being equal, a change from 160 to 180 gives a 12.5% increase in stopping power (before you factor in any extra difference that the increased volume of material makes in reducing heat-fade).
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    If the brakes are weak/farked the bigger discs will not solve it, buy a descend pair of shimanos deore and be done with it, don't bother with formulas, not so trust worthy
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    I will look at a higher up brakeset at somepoint like Deore / XT but as mentioned funds are a bit tight at the mo so even a cheap pair of deore's are not an option. I just need to be able to manage for 3 weeks until payday and I have a ride planned that I can't cancel on so just wanted to know if the 180mm front rotor would at least give me a bit of extra power. the 12.5% increase sounds promising. I will probably give it a go then get a decent set when funds allow.

Thanks
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Id assume it will but worth checking the fork can deal with a larger rotor. Also factor in the new mounts on the cost. I cant imagine it wont but just to be safe.