Norco Threshold, C'dale CAADX or Genesis CdF...?

zjohn
zjohn Posts: 12
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Moving house and going to have a longer/more mucky commute so going to ditch the fixie and get one of these new do-it-all/disc-brake numbers, stick some mudguards on and get mucky..! Any recommendations on which is best option? All similar price due to discounts available.

Norco Threshold Alloy 105 2016
Cannondale CAADX 105
Genesis Croix de Fer 10 (Sora)

Ta!

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Out of those id go Caadx. I had a CDF and didn't like it mind you it had the steel fork.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    The basic CdF is a bit of a tank - depends what you want but i replaced an old empella bonfire cyclocross with it and the bonfire was more fun to ride - felt more like an off road race bike - not surprising I suppose because that is what it was but whilst you may like the idea of something more leisurely the reality might not suit.

I wouldn't bother with the discs either.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • My wife has a Threshold A1 105 (ladies model in bright blue) and loves it. It's a very well put together bike. Chosen mainly on looks, mind! Nice chunky square tube profiles and fat fork.
    You probably can't go wrong with the CAADX - it's a top class aluminium frame.
    Croix de Fer, steel so might be more comfortable, but it will also be significantly heavier as well as having a much lower spec groupset (not that Sora is bad per se)

I'd probably choose the cannondale if it were for me...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Might also be worth adding the Planet X London Road to the list.

You get 11-speed SRAM Rival and Hydraulic discs for £999

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... -road-bike

The same bike with mechanical discs is £799

The Zesty Lime incarnation makes a bit of a statement if you're tempted.

Plenty of advocates for it on this forum if you want to trawl through the mahusive thread in the "Your Road Bikes" section

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12998860

I guess I should admit to some bias as I bought one of the mechanical disc versions last summer. Great all-rounder with rack and mudguard fittings and space for big tyres too. I'm running Michelin Pro4 Endurance 28's at the moment and the they are quick and smooth
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    ZJohn wrote:
    Moving house and going to have a longer/more mucky commute so going to ditch the fixie and get one of these new do-it-all/disc-brake numbers, stick some mudguards on and get mucky..! Any recommendations on which is best option? All similar price due to discounts available.

Norco Threshold Alloy 105 2016
    Cannondale CAADX 105
    Genesis Croix de Fer 10 (Sora)

Ta!

I have a Caad X 105 with canti brakes and it's great. Two sets of wheels and you're ready for most things. Mine has guards as well so doubles as a winter trainer and commuter as well an off road bike with my CX wheels. problem is I now have two bikes to sell as I am just keeping my carbon ribble for summer use and the Caad x for everything else. Single speed and other road bike are going as they are now defunct.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Other options are the pinnacle arkose range from Evans
  • zjohn
    Thanks guys...Oh, and I don't want SRAM. So I think the Pinnacle/Planet X stuff is out.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Pinnacle use Shimano? The 105 hydraulic one is £1k
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Just a thought but this good value with hydraulics.http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... wwodd74NVw
  • zjohn
    solboy10 wrote:
    Just a thought but this good value with hydraulics.http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... wwodd74NVw

Indeed. What is the actual benefit of hydraulic over mechanical discs? From my mtb days (few years ago) I seem to recall that hydraulics self adjusted...?
  • zjohn
    Ooh - or the Pinnacle Arkose 3. Bright yellow, 105 groupset (mostly). £800...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I'd say...

Norco Threshold - For Gravel/all road
    Cannondale CAADX - For CX racing
    Genesis Croix de Fer - For commuting/knockabout riding etc
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • zjohn
    ddraver wrote:
    I'd say...

Norco Threshold - For Gravel/all road
    Cannondale CAADX - For CX racing
    Genesis Croix de Fer - For commuting/knockabout riding etc

No CX racing thanks. It's basically going to be a commute/have a bit of fun on the way home bike. Got the bling in the garage for proper days out.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Norco then - plus you get that indistinct North American Cool...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • zjohn
    ddraver wrote:
    Norco then - plus you get that indistinct North American Cool...

Tis the way I am leaning right now.