Defy cassette

wotnoshoeseh
wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
edited March 2016 in Workshop
OK. Changed chain due to wear - just at the 0.75% mark so thought cassette would be ok.
Alas no - first pedal stroke with intent, and slippage.

So I bought a new cassette yesterday, and, after only getting <1500 miles out of the first two cassettes each, I thought I'd move up from Tiagra to 105.

Removed the old Tiagra cassette this evening - no spacer fitted. Replaced with new 105 cassette without spacer and the cogs of the cassette are "floating" - i.e. they are able to move axially on the hub.

So took all off and installed supplied spacer that came with the cassette, despite the original Tiagra cassette not having one, and now I can't get the lockring to pinch up.

The wheels are the Giant ones that came on the Defy 1, 2014 model. I'm thinking those are probably only a 10 speed hub though as the original groupset is 105 5700 (with Tiagra cassette).

Anyone any idea what's going on??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The free body is 8/9/10 spd compatible.

Yes tiagra does not use a spacer. Yes 105 uses a spacer.

All covered in the topic in the FAQS.

Check that you do have the last cog aligned correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    The free body is 8/9/10 spd compatible.

Yes tiagra does not use a spacer. Yes 105 uses a spacer.

All covered in the topic in the FAQS.

Check that you do have the last cog aligned correctly.

Two things - firstly it helps to have proper light to see what one is doing - yes, that last cog was not aligned properly, and secondly apologies for clogging up the forum with an unnecessary thread.

Thanks nicklouse
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I still don't know why Shimano suddenly decided to do away with the spacer for 10 speed Tiagra when one is required for all their other 10 speed cassettes...