Disc brakes

Lancstony
Lancstony Posts: 44
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking at changing the brakes on my Giant Trance, they are currently Shimano M355 180mm on the front and 160mm on rear.

My question is do I need to change the rotors as well or can I just replace the levers and calipers and keep the same rotors on?

Also I have seen some brakes that say they fit 183mm rotors, maybe a daft question but if I kept the 180mm rotor on would there be an issue?

Is it a job I can attempt myself or am I best taking it to a shop and getting everything done that way?

Thanks

Tony

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No need to change the discs as well.

Yes, just buy the new brakes and fit (yours will be post mount as are 99% of brakes, don't get IS mount!).

You use a different mounting adaptor for 183mm discs, so it's not an issue, just use your existing adaptor.

DIY it's about the easiest job you'll do, unbolt old, bolt up new centring the calliper as you do it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lancstony
    Brilliant thanks very much
  • these are the bomb!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod83173

have them on both my bikes. The vented pads work a real treat too.
    Bike - Trek Remey
    Kenesis XC2 custom build
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The ice tech pads (not ventilated obviously) give absolutely no advantage in UK riding at all, work no better or worse than non cooled.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    The ice tech pads (not ventilated obviously) give absolutely no advantage in UK riding at all, work no better or worse than non cooled.

depends how much you brake on DH courses. my brakes have got pretty hot at fort bill, innerleither and trails where there are lots of corners.
  • Lancstony
    Well I managed to put my new brakes on last night, surprised how easy it was!

Only problem is I am currently waiting for new grips as I didn't realise I would have to cut off the ones that came standard with the bike to get the old brake levers off!! :oops: So now waiting for those to arrive and then everything is good, just hope they come before weekend :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They do come of without cutting, with a little bit of either pulling, but lock ons are the simple answer for the future.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools