Cycle computer

sub2
sub2 Posts: 22
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for recommendations for a cycle computer.
I currently use the free version of Strava but I'd like something that gives me an average speed readout when I'm cycling.

I normally have a Cateye flashing front light which I'm thinking may interfere with a wireless one.

Any recommendations ?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    What is your budget?
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Sub2 wrote:
    I'm looking for recommendations for a cycle computer.
    I currently use the free version of Strava but I'd like something that gives me an average speed readout when I'm cycling.

I normally have a Cateye flashing front light which I'm thinking may interfere with a wireless one.

Any recommendations ?

If you can stretch to it, Garmin Edge 520 will do everything and anything you ever need.

A flashing light wont interfere with any wireless devices...totally different wavelengths.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    GPS or just a basic bike computer?

If you are on a limited budget but want a gps then go for the Bryton Rider 310.
  • Twentytoo
    Twentytoo Posts: 34
    I thought the new version of free strava did average speed?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Some flashing lights interfere. IIRC something to do with the light not being shielded. My ALDI wireless computer is badly affected by my Cateye volt 300 when it's on flashing mode. How do I know? Light off I'm doing 15 to 19 mph with a top speed for the trip of say 30mph. Then I turn my light on while doing 15mph send suddenly I'm doing 66mph. Always seems to be 66mph for some weird reason. Very repeatable experiment that always produces the same results.

My previous Cateye wireless computer wasn't as affected though but it was twice the distance away or more from the same light. It got nicked with my bike so I got the ALDI cheapo to replace.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    MugenSi wrote:
    A flashing light wont interfere with any wireless devices...totally different wavelengths.

Not true. I have a Cateye Micro Wireless computer and if I have my flashing light on it gives me a constant speed of 12mph.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    Wireless computers can be affected by flashing led lights. I have experienced this when both the light and computer were Cateye. It can be solved by separating them on the bars.
    If all you really want is average speed then the cheapest option is a wired computer. Cateye still have these.
    If you want more then one of the small Garmins wouldn't be affected.
  • sub2
    sub2 Posts: 22
    Thanks for the replies.
    Budget would prob be up to maybe £100 ish.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Sub2 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.
    Budget would prob be up to maybe £100 ish.

As i said before, go for the bryton rider 310.
    For the money you cannot beat it.