More gears, better spec required

Pirate Fid
Pirate Fid Posts: 13
edited March 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Is it possible to just swap the rear mech and cassette to a higher number of gears, or is it more complicated than that? My 2013 specialized hard rock has 8 on the back, but all the decent kit is now 9 or 10 speed. Can an upgrade be done or does more gears equal a new bike?

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Pirate Fid wrote:
    Is it possible to just swap the rear mech and cassette to a higher number of gears, or is it more complicated than that? My 2013 specialized hard rock has 8 on the back, but all the decent kit is now 9 or 10 speed. Can an upgrade be done or does more gears equal a new bike?

You will probably have to upgrade the shifter, other than that I can't think of anything else
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    You'll also probably need a new chain as well, maybe even chainring(s) depending on how worn your current set up is.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You will need chain, cassette, mech and shifter. Front chain rings will be fine.
    10 speed is often cheaper than 9 speed and more available. Go for an 11-36 cassette for the best gear range.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    If you are married, tell your wife that the bike is dangerous - was condemned - and that you have just bought a new 10 speed one for safety.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    you can depending on your budget an slx rear mech, slx cassette and xt shifter would be a good choice or xt rear mech if you can afford the extra.
  • Thanks all. I know the clobber is worth more than the bike but I love the bike and enjoy spannering so its all good. Thanks very much for the advice
  • On the same thread as doing the bike up but in a different area, anyone recommend a rockshox fork for xc riding and general larking about?
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Whats your budget? I'm really enjoying my rebas for xc but took some stick from the wife about the cost.
  • The rebas are a possibility :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Reba is very good. So is Suntour Epicon which is cheaper.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To change from 8-9 doesn't need a new rear mech at all, the pull ratio is the same, so you just need shifter, chain and cassette. To go to ten will need a new rear mech unless you use a 10 speed road shifter in which case your 8 can soldier on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Pirate Fid wrote:
    On the same thread as doing the bike up but in a different area, anyone recommend a rockshox fork for xc riding and general larking about?

I used to have a Hardrock, it got me back into off-roading after years off. A rockshox Recon Gold fork turned it into the bike it should always have been - I don't think you have to go any higher spec than that. It trimmed most of a kilogram off the weight as well.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Rebas fitted, an awesome transformation. Much lighter, can definitely feel the difference. Cleaning off this weekend, took handlebars off for a polish, dead weight there. Any recommendations for a lightweight xc bar?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lighter than what. at what price?

If Spesh still use steel bars on the Hardrock, anything will be lighter.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And if it is they are probably 25.4mm, so either a new stem as well, or you can't use 31.8, which are more common.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Pirate Fid wrote:
    Rebas fitted, an awesome transformation. Much lighter, can definitely feel the difference. Cleaning off this weekend, took handlebars off for a polish, dead weight there. Any recommendations for a lightweight xc bar?

Depends on your budget as you could buy some carbon or lightweight alloy.

Xc bars normally are up to around 720mm wide so are your current bars too narrow or too wide you need to consider this too when buying some new ones.