Suggestions for routes Chippenham(wilts) to St. Austell

bgw1million
bgw1million Posts: 16
edited March 2016 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

In July I'm doing the Ride for Precious Lives and depending on how my training goes for it I might ride down to the start of the event (few days beforehand).

I've only ever ridden Approx. 110 miles in one go, but I fancy upping it for the sake of charity and trying to do a double century or at least 300km in a day. I know my way roughly to the Mendips, but in reality I'd like to try and keep the ascent count down to a minimum. The Devon / Cornwall part isn't too flat as far as I can remember (driving / never cycled around there).

I'd be grateful if anyone had any suggested routes that I might be able to knit together to create a route. And hopefully I can get the miles in to try and attempt it :D .

cheers,

bgw

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Devon and Cornwall can be described as many things but as you say they are not flat. Many people who ride Land's End to John O'Groats (LeJoG) find Devon and Cornwall the hardest section. One thing to note the A30 over Bodmin moor, used by people doing LeJoG as quickly as they can is closed to cyclist for the foreseeable future due to road works.

This is a good website for route planning. Put the two end destinations in and it will produce a route which can be saved as a GPS file that avoid the largest roads. You also pull the route around to tailor it to your requirements.

http://cycle.travel/map

I've just tried it and it shows a route of 192 miles that runs to the mid/north of Devon. Personally I would ride from Wellington to Exeter via Hemyock, Culmstock, Uffculme, Willand, Cullumpton. Then the b3151 until Budlake and then Stoke Cannon and the A396 into Exeter. Just before St David's Stn cross the level crossing onto Exwick Rd and then up the hill on Dunsford Rd to meet the OLD A30. The OLD A30 is relatively quiet and runs beside the awful A30 dual carriage way. You can ride this all the way to Launceston apart from one 1/4 mile stretch just after Okehampton where you go onto the new A30 and then leave by the next exit, the entry and exit slip roads almost meet up.
  • Many thanks Woof!

I'll take a look tonight on my computer and see how it looks. Definitely wish the hills were at the start!

Cheers,

Bgw