Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

£2000 budget.

Kyle.92Kyle.92 Posts: 2
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hey everyone.

I was just wondering if I could get some advice on what bike to purchase, to narrow it down to a few choices.

The bike will be used for my commute to work, but mainly for XC and trail centre.

Recently I have been looking at Giant Anthem and Giant Trance. But I am open to any suggestions.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Anthem-Ad ... _84123.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Trance-Ad ... _73884.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Trance-27 ... _84140.htm

Thanks

• HerdwickHerdwick Posts: 523
    whyte t129
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,448
    To be honest either of the bike would be wasted on a commute unless it was off road.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,448
    How far is the commute and which trail centres do you intend riding. It may be that you look at getting a cheap hybrid and getting a last year's model mtb to save a bit of dosh to cover the hybrid. A friend of mine commuted on his scalpel but to make it easier he had a spare set of wheels with slicks on.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • PoitrPoitr Posts: 35
    oxoman wrote:
    To be honest either of the bike would be wasted on a commute unless it was off road.
    I use my old Scott Genius as a commuter and it's great. It's not fast obviously but you can ignore potholes and hop curbs and median strips without concern, plus I can hit the trails on the way home if I want. The commute is only 8km each way. If it was 20km I might reconsider.
  • My commuter is a 5 year old Ridgid Boardman Team Urban with slicks on it. A £750 bike that I got for £600 ish new. Now it has a better back wheel, bars, grips, pedals, drivetrain , cassette and bottom bracket than it came with and if I sold it I doubt I would get more than £200 for it. Probably less.

My advice would be drop on a second hand commuter and use the rest of your pennies for your trail bike. Commuting in bad weather totally shafts your bike.

R.e. Giant Advanced bikes. I haven't personally ridden one but my understanding is they are about 200 ish grams lighter than the alloy framed versions but a fair whack dearer and with no obvious advantage in terms of how they ride.

You might find better performace by buying a cheaper alloy Giant, selling off the Px2 wheelset and using your cash to get some nicer wheels.

Be aware Giant are a bit old school r,e. Cockpit layout. They still run longish stems and not so wide bars. Something to bear in mind r.e. Sizing.
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,756
    A semi decent V-brake MTB with 1.5" slicks makes a decent fastish commuter and you should be able to do it for circa £100, get the bars down to around the height of the hoodz (spacers below a flipped stem) for a better riding position as well. Also consider going 1x gearing to loose some weight and declutter the bars a bit.

I'd agree about the effects of commuting in bad weather, wet salted roads play havoc with anything metal, rear mech pivots and chain need frequent TLC, I put up with a gungy chain as lots of wet lube is the only way to avoid an orange chain of shame (which soon gets rough as the joints go stiff).