GT Zaskar 9R Comp size help

Run4you
Run4you Posts: 9
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

will size XL fit my body geometry or should I go size L?

Heigth: 186,7cm (6.12 Feet)
Inseam: 89,8 cm (35.35 Inches)
Torso: 152,2 cm (59.92 Inches)

I'll use bike for training.

Thank you for all useful tips.

GT ZASKAR COMP 9R: http://www.bike24.com/p262461.html

GEOMETRY: http://bikereference.appspot.com/bike/download/bike.geometria.a221b0c6ebe62d3e.67656f6d5f67745f7a61736b61722e676966.gif

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's a definite maybe....

What length is your current bike, compare it to the numbers for the GT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Run4you
    Hm, I don't own any MTB, I have size 58 TT Cannondale Slice (2013). So I can't compare.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sit on one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    No-one can say whether it will fit you, it is likely to, but nothing is certain in this life.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Run4you
    I did sit on it and seat height looks like that, top tube length is ok with 10 cm stem, I could go even with shorter.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz7Wz_bfknG8RXdmNzZuUGZqLTg/view?usp=sharing

Size L seat tube is 4 cm smaller. I can still buy size L.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only you can decide what's comfortable in terms of length. Saddle height looks okish, but that means little.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Large is extremely unlikely to be big enough. XL might only be marginal. I'm only 6'1" and would go for the XL.
  • spr000
    spr000 Posts: 24
    I'm not sure how similar to the Zasker the Avalanche Expert is, but I'm a similar the same height and inseam to you and went with a large Avalanche in 08. Legwise was fine, but due to long arms, I maybe could have done with the bike being a little longer.
  • Run4you
    Comparing overstand height I've less than 1" clearence so that might prevail to change for size L. My saddle in picture is at more forward position and stem is in negative positon.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I read your height as 6" 12" not 6.12 foot.
    Large or XL would probably be fine.
  • The Rookie
    That would be a little illogical!

Standover height is irrelevant to whether a bike fits or not, that's purely down to the relative positions of saddle, pedals and grips.
  • Run4you
    Height= 186,7cm = 6.12 Feet

I'll try to do a picture of posture on XL frame. Still not sure why I need the biggest frame form GT Zaskar 29er. How wrong can I go with L, top tube length XL 652mm vs L 633 cm.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    That would be a little illogical!

The imperial measurement system is illogical. But yes, it was stupid of me not to realise that would be 7 foot.
  • The Rookie
    Run4you wrote:
    top tube length XL 652mm vs L 633 cm.
    That's fairly typical size spacing at circa 20mm per size.

That bike does have an inline seatpost, so if you got the L it would be easy to increase the cockpit length to that of the XL by swapping the seatpost for a setback one. the only difference then is that the grips will be a bit lower (and they are noted for being low on that bike anyway) due to the shorter head tube but again a stem or bar swap would fix that.
  • Run4you
    The Rookie wrote:
    Run4you wrote:
    top tube length XL 652mm vs L 633 cm.
    That's fairly typical size spacing at circa 20mm per size.

That bike does have an inline seatpost, so if you got the L it would be easy to increase the cockpit length to that of the XL by swapping the seatpost for a setback one. the only difference then is that the grips will be a bit lower (and they are noted for being low on that bike anyway) due to the shorter head tube but again a stem or bar swap would fix that.

Ok, thanks...by your explanation is worth of going L...some formulas calculate that bike frame should be 20,5. So I need to make compromise between GTs L and XL. I'll go for L.
  • The Rookie
    The nominal size (based on seattube height) is meaningless as height is easily adjustable over a massive range with the seatpost, and it may or may not bear any relationship to cockpit length which is harder to adjust and only over a smaller range.

Any system advising a nominal size is less useful than a chocolate tea pot......you can at least eat a chocolate teapot!
  • Run4you
    edited March 2016
    :o anyone owns GT Zaskar 29er?
  • Run4you
    Uf, selecting frame size is somtimes complicated. Would be easier to test it on trail and decide what size feels better.
    So, I'll risk, change it for size L and customize setup IF necessary.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You have to try and see what suits you. Then remember the numbers. You could have a twin with the same dimensions as you that likes a totally different set up - this is why, as mentioned, formulae are pretty useless and guides are just that.

For example I am 6ft. 35inch inside leg. But relatively short arms. My zaskar carbon team is an 18inch and if anything is a touch long for me. (595mm ETT). But I prefer an 80mm stem on this bike.