Stuck internal cable?

spearmint_wino
spearmint_wino Posts: 109
edited March 2016 in Workshop
On my 'summer' bike I have SRAM force with internal cabling. Not ridden the bike in a while till yesterday - now I can only get the lowest 5 gears from the rear mech - when I try to shift beyond this to a higher gear the shifter clicks but the mech doesn't move.

I can manually move the mech all the way down the block, but using the shifter only gets it to this half-way point.

Not sure why some gears are ok and the rest not, given that the mech can be moved all the way to the 11t by hand. Is there a reason why he cable will move freely for some shifts then stop? Or is the spring in the rear mech not strong enough to pull the cable through? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    or the cable has slipped ...

disconnect the cable from the mech and check it runs up and down the correct number of times when you click the lever - if it doesn't then try a new cable & outers. if it still doesn't work then the lever may have a fault.
  • Good suggestion. I don't *think* it has, but I'll check all the same.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Check the entire cable for fraying.
  • I suspect a bit of internal rust was the culprit - managed to trash the cable in my investigations anyway so going to replace the lot. Thanks for he help.